Friday, November 25

The Day After


Okay, so my Thanksgiving post wasn't very fun was it??
It really was a good day until the very end.

We went to our neighbors, which we do every year. Their family was there too, and we already feel like we belong. We all bring our dogs, which is quite the show. Brock towers over all of them, so it's fun.
We had a great meal, organic turkey, homemade rolls, stuffing ( of course), mustard greens, some-kind-of-potato-dish with marshmallows on it (ick), mashed potatoes, and organic peas. Very yummy.
I was watching the Cowboys game all by myself. Muted most of the time, but that's okay.
The hubby always finds it funny that I'm in the room with the guys, drinking beer, while the women are all in the kitchen yakking. I've always been that way I guess.
I did help clean up though.

One of the girls had her new baby there. I'm not much of a baby person, but this little girl, Leila, was just adorable. I just wanted to hold her all the time, of course I probably hold her like a complete dork.

As for the bad part of the evening? Well I'm not sure I want to talk about it yet, but I will say that as most of you know I am *extremely* sensitive when it comes to animals.
I don't deal with hunting season very well.
I'm not a member of Peta or anything, and I don't give the hunters a hard time...I realize it's just part of living here. My hubby even hunts, which surprised me at first since I'd never heard the words come out of his mouth..but I accept it. We compromise.
Part of the deal is, he can't bring any of it home until it's in white paper and labeled.

Anyway..I'm babbling way too long. The point is, I was surrounded by hunters last night as they headed out after to dinner to hunt. It was hard to avoid the stories and the yuck. One particular thing I heard just about sent me into tears. I held back of course, considering I'm surrounded by all these men, but it really about made me sick. At that exact moment I wanted to pack up and move back to the city.

Of course I won't.
Just now on the news I saw people being trampled when they opened the doors at Walmart. WTF?
Cindy Sheehan....I seriously DISLIKE this woman. I don't use the word hate much, so we will used DISLIKE.

Want to laugh? Go check out
This found over at Laura's.

Oh and go check out
Samantha Burns. I guessed the Moron of The Week!! WooHoo!
And if you like her blog, go vote for her at the Canadian Blog Awards for best humor blog. You can vote daily.


We're expecting snow all week. Up to 3 inches tonight, and 3 inches tomorrow.
Hopefully I'll start having some good snow photos soon! Yay. Warm Fuzzy :)

We might go get a tree today. We go to a tree farm and for $15, can have any size tree we want and cut it down ourselves. Another warm fuzzy.
If Critter doesn't destroy it.

7 comments:

Marianna said...

When I went to Andy's yesterday, we unloaded my vehicle, which was crammed with food & stuff. She lives in the middle of nowhere. No traffic, no cars with bad bass coming out of their trunks, no police, no fire... peace & quiet. The only sound that I heard standing outside while getting ready for the roast beast was hunters' guns echoing thru the hills.

It really made me sad... I know it's a passion for so many people. But for me? It just disturbed the peace... and scared me for their goats & animals.

I'm sorry they disturbed YOUR peace.

M~

Marianna said...

And ditto about Cindy Sheehan!

M~

•♥•m•♥• said...

If it makes U feel anybetter,,,,,I've been known to actually get up and leave the area (work meetings included) when conversation leads to peoples meals....i.e veal, lamb, et. Being a vegan, and mega animal lover (5 dogs, 2 beareddragons, 3 macows, i african grey, 1 alexandrian, and a glouster canary, previous horse, pig, sheep, chicken and cat owner)......any conversations which include cruelty to animals for the sake of human consumption REALLY upset me.......people who know me and have experienced my actions KNOW to not repeat....others soon learn. I wouldnt have faulted U at all...if U had left the celebrations.....I would have applauded U for standing up for your beliefs!!! ((((BIG HUGS))))) M

Derek said...

Glad you had a good Thanksgiving up until the hunting part. I think we are going to be getting a tree this weekend as well. We don't have a cool farm to go to to get one though. Have a great weekend!

Leesa said...

Thanks again everyone.
M-I do usually avoid the conversations, and they "usually" don't even talk about stuff like that around me. But, there were several visitors later on that didn't even really know me, so I don't blame them.
The hunting talk I have gotten pretty used to, it was a *particular* item that had affected me.
Thanks for the concern, you guys are too good to me:)

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your win and thanks for encouraging the vote.

I can understand and respect your discomfort around hunters. Up here, it's totally unavoidable because just about everyone hunts, lol. The difference, I think, may be that the men up here don't have to talk about "the stories and the yuck" to prove their manliness. Because just about every man hunts here, it's just a way of life and they don't feel the need to prove themselves that way. At least, that's the way it is whenever I hang out with some hunters.

My grandpa hunts and many friends, and they just talk about the journey and who's vehicle they had to fix along the way and how many animals they saw, they don't talk about the yuck.

Leesa said...

Diane--yes, I'd much rather be watching the game!
Sam--thanks! Yeah, this whole area is filled with hunters, so I am getting used to it. Slowly :)