I had a neighbor stop by for awhile last night. They told me that our neighbors across the way lost their four old son.
They are missionaries and he contracted some kind of disease while out of the country. They are a certain religion and don't believe in seeing doctors.
They believed that God would handle it.
He died in his fathers arms.
Details are still sketchy.
I'm still not sure what to think.
I guess sometimes your beliefs are that strong. They believed if God took him, then there was a reason.
I believe sometimes that things happen for a reason, but I'm not sure I could have let my son die without medical treatment.
Of course I'm not them, I wasn't there, and I know nothing about their religion.
I think I'm going to read up a bit about it today and I'll get back to ya.
14 comments:
I'm with you on this one. I couldn't let one of mine die without seeking medical attention. Sorry for their loss though.
I'm sorry--I probably sound like a politically incorrect wretch but that's just plain nuts! They sat there without doing anything to alleviate his suffering and let a four year old child die.
Not only is that reprehensible it's likely going to get them in an assload of trouble.
Jenny, I'm the same way...I can never get the words out right, that's why I rarely comment on the big issues! I do agree though. I've been reading about the religion and it doens't necessarily say that they don't believe in medicine...I guess he just felt that God was telling him to do this. Very odd.
I think the matter is very simple. Allowing your child to die from a treatable medical condition is like allowing them to burn to death in a house that is on fire without calling the fire department or trying to rescue them yourself.
I don't know if you are a religious person, but the Bible is full of stories where Christ helped a leper, or gave sight to a blind woman, but the underlying theme was that the people who received the miracles asked for them and had no other way to gain them. In other words, they did their part. I don't beleive that God ever intended to be an emergency room doctor and heal all the sick.
Sorry for the ramble, but child abuse sets me off
Troubador
I don't get it either. If I'm not mistaken, isn't it supposed to be that God put everything we would ever need on this earth in order to survive? Including medicine??
I can't even fathom that kind of thinking. We all know I'm a little sketchy in the faith department to begin with, but to let your child suffer and die is unacceptable.
~L.
How sad.
Yeah, I'm afraid I'm of the belief that if God wanted me dead I'd contract something incurable and terminal.
My step-monster is/was (I don't know her current status these days) a Jehovah's Witness. They don't believe in receiving blood or body parts from another. When her daughter, my 1/2 sis was little, I asked her what she would do if Nathalie needed blood & Gaby's was the only one she could accept... what would she do? Gaby told me she would let Nathalie die...
Incredibly sad.
M~
I think the thing that this particular religious belief is overlooking is that (using their own logic here) God gave us a BRAIN. If we weren't meant to use it to take care of ourselves, then we wouldn't have it.
Not that this logic applies to everything mind you. Cocaine is here too, but I'm not sure it should be advocated. But even with cocaine... we have brains, and brains should tell us not to use cocaine.
And I can't help but feel that any religion that doesn't encourage us to use all of what we were given is kinda missing out on the whole miracle of being alive. My two cents. ~S
It's hard for me to say without knowing all the facts, but I just can't fathom it. God gave us the smarts to have Dr.'s for a reason. By the same token maybe the country they went to preach to should be Godless if there weren't already missionaries there to spread the word. Don't know if that makes sense or not..having trouble with my words. Stacie
That is so sad. The Bible talks about in one verse about how "my [God's] people perish for lack of knowledge." Which tells me that the knowledge of medicine is probably a good thing and a blessing. Like you said, we don't want to judge. But, ignorance is certainly not bliss, I imagine. Talk to you later.
Hey Leesa, are you the same Leesa with the redhair and overalls? I think I am starting to get that, am I right?
;) Susie
It's really sad this happened. But in some states they can not interfere in one's religious beliefs and enforce medical attention. Though we all agree, they are the one's who have to live with their choice.
Yes Susie, that's me!
Everybody else, I'll have an update on all of this tomorrow:)
Post a Comment