
There is much talk in today's world about unconditional love.
It would be wonderful if human beings were capable of such a thing. The sad truth is that we fall short of the mark. While unconditional love is probably impossible, it is a wonderful goal and we should continue to strive for it.
In reality, the closest thing to unconditional love we ever perceive is that which we sense from our pets. Even then, there are a few conditions. After we have fed them and their other basic needs have been met, animals are unconditional. We have yet to hear that someone's dog, cat, parakeet or hamster judged them or criticized them or called them stupid.
What I do know is that people tell their most intimate secrets to their pets. People express their truest and deepest emotions to their pets, often much more so than they ever express them to friends or family. I know how incredibly important pets can be to people. We know millions of people who, unable to have children, have been able to have some of the wonderful and natural parental type feelings for their pets. I know an awful lot about how attached people become to their pets. Myself included. Sometimes, pets are all the family some have.
For many people, pets are like members of the family. Pets can have the same need for attention as children. They are dependent on us for their very existence. They give us unconditional love and are sensitive to our many moods. They are happy when we are happy and are sad when we are sad. And when they die, we grieve, as we would for anyone that we love dearly.
More importantly, I know how devastating the death of a pet can be. I know how grieving pet owners are often abused by well-meaning friends who say insensitive things.
The purpose of this is to help grieving pet owners complete their relationship to the pain caused by the death of their pet. And, to assist friends of grievers with more helpful and supportive information about recovery from one of life's most significant losses.
We are all familiar with the expression that starts with; "I was unhappy about having no shoes until I met a man who had no feet..."
While well intentioned, that sets up one of the most massive pieces of mis-information in our society. It teaches us to compare our feelings in order to minimize them.
Grieving pet owners, met with the constant line, "it was only a pet," are set up to compare their feelings to those they may have had when a parent or grandparent died. And if that is not enough, they are then told to "go out and get another one," or replace the loss. No one would be insensitive enough to tell you to go out and "get another one" if your mother died, would they? On the other hand, when a baby dies, the parents are often told, "don't feel bad, you're young, you can have other children."
Our human responses to death are normal and natural. Since we have been taught to hide or mask our natural reactions to loss, we often feel that there is something wrong with us when we experience intense feelings. Death of a pet often produces incredibly powerful emotions.
The emotions attached to the loss are normal, but society's treatment of the grieving pet owner is not normal. We must strive to normalize that which is normal. Otherwise, we continue to drive grievers' feelings underground, buried for fear of being considered "weak."
I was recently reminded of Dallas' death. I had buried that emotion. If you remember she became very ill here at home and I had to put her to sleep myself. That was a horrible time for me and I can still feel that pain. Someone recently made light of that and I let it go.
It was not light. It was not easy. It's not easy now.
Please remember that the heart is broken. All grief is experienced at 100%. There are no half grievers. Do not try to minimize the pain.
9 comments:
So true... I cried when my friend Andy had to put down her dog Simka. She was a beautiful, sweet dog. She always protected the family, no matter what. People that are that insensitive have no idea what it is to truly LOVE...
M~
Wow, i am sure that someday i may be in the same predictament and I hope i can handle it as brave as you..
Some people have no clue. My own mother, who grew up on a farm taking care of animals, only in the past few years observed with shock and as if this were news to us all, "animals all have their own distinct little personalities!"
Yeah Mom, after your own kids right in front of you raised 50 cats, 2 dogs, 20 guinea pigs 4 horses, several turtles, and some fish, and after all those farm animals you yourself fed, you just now figured this out?! It's not rocket science.
I guess you have to be willing to get to know the animal in order to realize that there really is a unique personality in there, and sometimes they end up being your best friend. Some animals are a lot better people than some people. And when they die it hurts and you miss them.
I couldn't imagine going through life and having missed this.
I find that when someone says something like "It was only an animal" i actually feel worse, not because I'm reminded of the loss more, but rather I pity them for not having experienced the same love and devotion that I have from a pet. Pity them, don't hate them for they are the ones who are really losing out.
I too have run into the same insensitive types of comments. When I spent $2K (that I didn't have ~ thank goodness for credit cards!) to keep one of my cats alive (he's ok now, we really never found out what almost killed him) people at my work thought I was *INSANE*! I would have spent twice, three times that amount. To me, it's no different than having a child. EXCEPT that I realize the whole birthing part is missing. What I mean is the sense of responsibility is the same as having a child. You are responsible for this living, breathing creature and you can't just kill it or give it away if it becomes a nuisance.
What you did for Dallas was truly amazing. I'm not sure I would have been strong enough to do that myself.
Thankfully all of my good friends (relatives, etc) know better then to ever utter the sentence "it's only a pet" to me. If they did or were insensitive to how strong I feel for animals, well then obviously we wouldn't be friends or on speaking terms.
GAH! Sorry to hog up so much of your comments but obviously it's something I feel very strong about :-)
Thanks everyone, it's so nice to hear that others see my view on this.
Stephanie--that was NOT you. NO NO NO. No worries:)
So true, i hate it when people say things like it was just a dog you can get another one. Sure I can, but it will never be the same as the one I lost. All pets have their own personalities just like people. So hard to loose a pet.
Leesa, you put this all so eloquently. This is a huge subject for me. All of my pets, over the years, have been part of my family - not just a pet. They even get "middle names". In 2000, I had to have my beloved dog put down - due to several things, but it was best for her. She was suffering. The vet came to the house for me. In 2001, I had to do the same with my cat. I had each of them for over 15 years. I had them before marrying, and before having my own child. So, losing them, closed a chapter of my life entirely. People who know me, know better than to ever say some of the shallow insenstive things that get said. It's been five years now, and I have other cats and I got Simon 2 years ago ... but I still think of Valentine and James every single day. They're buried in our pine grove, surrounded by lady slippers. They may be gone physically, but they'll never ever be forgotten. I still get choked up thinking about how much I wish I could hold them. I have a locket that has fur from each of them in it. It's nice to have.
Great post, thank you. I got that from my DH for awhile when I put Lucky to sleep. "It's not like she was a dog. Wait until you have a dog."
That rabbit had been through a divorce, three cross-county moves and two pregnancies with me. She was the one constant in my life of changes.
Thank you.
Post a Comment