Monday, October 24

Meandering Blither

Thanks Laura for that title. :)

It's hunting season. I just hate it. Daily I hear gunshots all around. It scares the dogs.
I get so nervous that one of my little deer family will not come back. I'm a weenie, I know.
Comes with living next to a national forest.

Brock seems to be doing alot better since being on pain medication. Whew. I actually hurt my ring finger when I was doing the heimlich. My finger swelled up and turned black and blue. I can't even get my wedding bands back on. Ha--Heimlich Injury. Big dog-Big chest.

Alot of people ask me if I stressed out last night. I don't actually stress out about the emergency as much as the fact that I can't get help soon enough.
There are a few emergencies I can handle on my own, or at least manage until I can get help.
I can handle most injuries, bleeding, or poisionings. I can stitch something if I need to...not beautifully but good enough.
But something that needs immediate attention and the nearest vet is an hour away....not fun. To top it all off last night, I couldn't find my car keys. Now THAT stressed me out. I rarely drive my car as it is...so I don't pay much attention to wear those are. My wallet is another thing I seem to misplace alot. Both I needed last night and couldn't find.

I'm so thankful that I have the skills necessary to handle some of this. My smaller dog Taylor tried the choking thing a few months ago, she was actually turning blue. I was able to pick her right up and push the object right down her throat...voila--she was fine.
I had two dogs that ate bad meat (very ick) I won't go into details (your welcome) but a little bit of hydrogen peroxide and voila--all better.
Respiratory infection?? I'm fine. Upset stomach?? Fine too. I can even handle seizures considering I have the doctor's medicine cabinet right here at my disposal.

One year I even had one of my little dogs jump into a pool in the middle of winter. Yep...she got so cold and couldn't swim and started sinking. I scooped her up with the net, dried her off and wrapped her in a heating blanket. She was white as a ghost. She survived.
Okay, that WAS a little stressful.
But choking??? Dog as big as me?? No thanks. I'll pass. Sick horses? I'll pass again.

The house is very calm and quiet today. Fireplace is going--smells good.
Oh and I did find my keys and wallet eventually. They were in my car.
Go figure.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have a fireplace; but, now I feel like lighting my candles throughout the house. Take care. And, glad things have quieted down some. :)

Unknown said...

I love the new look by the way. Give Brock a hug from me.

Making rounds to let everyone know my new blog address. http://whatssonmymind.blogspot.com/

Marianna said...

Phew... I was stressed reading about poor Brock. But I'm glad he's ok.

Love your new bloggy home, btw.

M~

Michael said...

Hey

I see you changed your blog clothes again. Of course it looks good on you.

Take Care
Michael

Laura said...

It's a good thing you have a cool head when it comes to that kind of stuff. I am the same way with the kids. Bleeding? Loss of consciousness? Oddly misshapen limbs? No? You'll be fine. Ok..maybe I'm not that lax, but close. I'm glad he seems better today-I wonder what the heck he got into??
~L.

Nature Girl said...

Leesa, Soooooo glad he's ok! Good for you being so level headed. I usually am in a crisis, but when it's over I fall apart. I am ok with blood, but I don't know if I could do the stitches...
How far do you live from Yellowstone? (My favorite place on earth!) Stacie

CheekyMoo said...

I'm so glad he's ok Leesa. That's a lot of stress. I hate sick kids/pets. Lucky you know what you're doing. It makes me want to invite you to move in. :-)

Jaime said...

I'm glad he's okay. I'm also glad that I have you in case anything happens to the pup. You'll dole out advice in case of emergency, right? :)

Leesa said...

Laura-Brock just probably swallowed part of a rawhide bone. I'm usually very careful and take them away when they start getting too small. I guess I missed one.
Stacie-thanks:) I'm pretty far from Yellowstone actually, like 8 hours I think.
Steph,Janeen,Angela..thanks too:)
Jaime-absolutely..if you have any questions just email me:)