Monday, October 24

Never A Dull Moment


More excitement in Montana.

Where do I start? I'm sitting here on the computer when Brock comes running to me choking. Yes, choking.
My 100# dog is choking and stressing out.
He was very stressed and vomiting alot of foam all.over.the.house.
Uggh.

I tried my best to try to reach down his throat and either pull out the object or push it down. This is not easy when a dog weighs almost as much as you do.

I tried the usual. He's pink..he's breathing ( heavily), all important. I tried the heimlich maneuver on him which was not easy as big as he is. No luck.
Called hubby (in California, of course)..he had me sedate him, IV...alone....yeah ok.
I have to say I was pretty impressed to hit a vein on a stressed out dog alone. (gold star for me)

Called the ER vet in Sandpoint (45 minutes away) to be on standby.
Called closest neighbor to help me. Neighbor was not home, but left a message.
Brock is totally stressing out on me. As I'm getting dressed being prepared to take him to Sandpoint, reaching for something in the dryer, Critter sticks his paw in there and gets his foot slammed in the door. So he's screaming as I'm trying to get the door back open. He runs downstairs away from me.

So, Brock is having issues...so is Critter. I've got Hub on the phone and he has the ER vet on the phone. Ugggh.
Neighbor shows up to help. Brock calms down. We get a flashlight and look down his throat. Can't see anything. Brock calms down. Is able to swallow food and water. Good sign. He's still pink. Good sign. By now my head is starting to hurt.

It's been a few hours since this all started. Brock is sedated and resting, but still crying alot. I have a feeling it will be a long night and I will be taking him into the vet in the morning.


I finally found Critter hiding under the bed. He's okay.

Sigh....

14 comments:

Wendy said...

OMG, I pray he's ok. Fill us in.

Leesa said...

Thanks Wendy & Jen.
Seamus, Brock had a special surgery done when he was younger so he wouldn't get bloat.
Thanks for the wishes, I do think I'm going to have to take him in this morning.

Troubador said...

Leesa,
My heart goes out to you. Nothing is scarier than having a pet that is sick and you have no idea what is wrong and they can't tell you.

I get nervous when my dog just starts acting out of the ordniary. She is like another family member.

I will be thinking of you

Troubador

Katya Coldheart said...

awww poor thing, i hope he is better, will be thinking of him all day...

*hugs*

CheekyMoo said...

Oh I hope he's ok Leesa. What a stressful situation. Let me know how he's doing poor guy. I hate when my dogs are sick. Glad Critter is ok too.

tim m said...

Wow, stressimus maximus

Hope all is better today, thinking of you all out there....

CozyMama said...

i hope all is well.

Duly Inspired said...

Oh my goodness! What these little furry children put us through! I hope all is getting better.

Michael said...

Ohh, I pray he is OK.

Take Care
Michael

Unknown said...

Hope he's okay. Poor guy!

Anonymous said...

I really think that Brock must be one of the sweetest dogs. I really hope all is well. He's precious. And, I'm glad Critter is ok too. Wow--poor you. Take care of you and yours. :)

Leesa said...

My goodness! Thanks so much...the emergency situation is passed...but there still may be problems with whatever he swallowed. He seems to be in pain somewhere. Just keeping an eye out for now. :)

Robin said...

Oh Lees! Please let us know when puppy is okay!

Jaime said...

Oh I could totally not handle that! I panic when the dog cries... never mind a real emergency. Go Leesa!
Glad to hear he's doing okay!