Wednesday, November 15

Holiday Spirit



Isn't this great? This is the zoo in Seattle. I miss things like this.
I miss going to zoo's, or amusement parks, or big neighborhoods all decorated for Christmas. As I've mentioned before, I wasn't as into photography when I lived around stuff like this, and now that I am.. I don't.
I'm seriously considering going to see this show.

You won't see much in decorations around this town. I did decorate the first year, but no one really sees it. I didn't decorate last year, I didn't even get a tree. I'm sure you can understand me not having a tree with the zoo I have running around. But, we will this year. We have family coming up for Christmas, including my sis and nephew so it will be a full house.
I can just imagine what Trout and Sinclair will do to a Christmas tree, but just more photo and blog entries, right?

It's also hard to decorate the outside of the house here unless you think to do it in September. By the time you think of doing it, it's freezing out and not much fun. I'm usually on my own too, since hubs doesn't like the idea of hanging lights in freezing weather. And.. he doesn't like ladders.

I do love getting the tree though. There's a tree farm in the area and you go pick out any size for $15 and cut it yourself. We had a huge tree the first year, I think it was at least 7 feet tall. We'll have to go early this year to get one that size. Then of course, you leave it undecorated for awhile so little kittens can get used to it, and then you can't decorate it from 3ft down.
And.. you can't have a tree skirt because they think it's a bed.
And..they drink the water out of the tree stand.
And..they try to climb it.
And..the pine needles stick to their tails and they carry them all.over.the.house.
And.. they eat the bows off the presents.
And.. you will always find little tooth marks in the packages.
And of course... you will have some broken or missing ornaments.

Ahh... Christmas. Can't wait :)

10 comments:

Nature Girl said...

ROFL...you're making me rethink getting a tree this year! LOL. My cats did ok last year, I think there was only one ornament casualty. I do miss tinsel on the tree though...Bell doesn't touch it, but Kenny thinks it was invented just for him, so no tinsel on the tree this year. I love places that do it up big with decorations at Christmas too..fun. I can't ever get good pix though..my night shots are still horrible!
Stacie

Anonymous said...

What's really fun is when they climb the tree and make it tip over!!! We have 2 cats that love to climb.. I wrapped a pole in our den with rope and they climb it all the time... They LOVE Christmas because we put up two trees every year...

Laura said...

Hehe...I have that same list only mine is because I have a toddler. Well, except that tail part. Ha!

I can't believe you can get any size tree for $15 bucks. Ours is ALWAYS over $45. Crazy.
~L.

Redhead Editor said...

Well, Laura, just fly (or drive!) to see Leesa. Pick up a tree for $15 and take it back with you. A bargain.

And just tell Trout and Sinclair, "No, Kitty, No." They'll understand.

Anonymous said...

hahahahahaha sounds like so much fun! (NOT)

Our zoo here... decorates the trees with lights and stuff... just like your picture... but not so colorful. We missed going last year... but will try to go this year.

I am still laughing at the thought of the kitty's drinking the tree water....

Anonymous said...

I LOVE your new picture!!

Marianna said...

LOL ~ Y'all are going to have so much fun! Send snow!!!

And take pics of that 1/2 nekkid tree.

M~

LarryLilly said...

Humans are also not very good around decorated Christmas trees, especially sitting in a overstuffed sofa, drinking spiked egg-nog all morning. My grandfather, a soft skinned Italian from Naples, arrived in the US some 30 years earlier, was drinking brandy spiked egg nog. Being an Italian family, the first course was lasagna at 10:30am. They had been there knocking these back since about 9. When the women announced dinner, (the women cooked, the men sat in the "living" room, you know, the room ONLY used during holidays, weddings and funerals), was warm, he had on a suit, typical Italian dinner clothing, warmed by the fire in the fireplace. When my granddad tried to stand up, he lost his balance, stumbled backwards, his peripheral vision saw an object off to his left, he grabbed it, it was the tree, decorated in old world hand blown glass ornaments, and he and the tree went crashing down. My uncle and my dad yell out "Dad", and they bend over, pick him up. There is water all over the wood floor, on the presents, the skirt, half the glass ornaments are smashed under his weight falling on the tree. In the kitchen, the women hear the commotion. My grandma, the Family Head (all women run the family, dont believe the shows), she comes in, yelling in Italian, so it was swear words I assume, and half English, saying "I told you not to get drunk and make a fool of yourself". As she is saying this, with her standing there, apron on over her dress, she is drying a small 10 inch cast iron skillet, my granddad still standing up held on either side by my dad and uncle, she gives him an overhand topspin tennis shot on his head with the skillet. BOOM!, he falls like a wet sack of potatoes, he is out COLD. My dad yells "Mom", my uncle is laughing, my granddad is groggy, alive, but kind of out of it. They take him upstairs to a bedroom, where he sleeps through the lasagna, the turkey, and comes down in time for the pastries and the cannoles.

Shephard said...

Smart, love that you leave it up before decorating.
My 4 cats are only interested in sleeping under the trees on the tree skirts. They go under and then don't even care about the ornaments, which, are all plastic and wire. No glitter, cuz it gets everywhere, and I don't want them getting it on their paws and then in their eyes. Mine are okay as long as there are no dangling oraments below the bottom line of branches. :)

You could suspend boughs from the cross beams in your house, and wire oraments to them. :) No kitties could reach those.

~S :)

Unknown said...

that is so pretty. Still trying to figure out what to do with my lights