Monday, November 13

Nature Laughs











So..my day. I woke up to trash cans blowing across the porch and windchimes going crazy.

We had quite the wind and ice-like rain. It was lovely :)

I got everyone fed and watered and released and turned on the laptop for the usual blog run. That's when I lost power. What was weird though, was I still had internet for about a 1/2 hour or so. My laptop was running on battery and I still had internet. No complaints.. but weird.

I started working on Medicine Monday, or finishing anyway. It was a good one (Salmon) and I had so much to say and just spewed it all out. It was perfect for me right now. Then.... internet went away. I think now it was a sign that I didn't need to post all of that. Whew. I might post part of it anyway, just for the meaning.. but that's it.

Brock broke out of the yard and went to visit the neighbors. They brought him home. But.. they let him loose out of the truck, so there was no catching him. He went back.
I decided since I had no power, I would run some errands and go to the post office. I ran into the neighbors on the way, who had Brock in their truck, so picked him up too. He was SO dirty and stinky and I had to put him in the nice truck. Sigh.

The Post Office and the town store had no power, so I didn't get much done. The post office did take my packages anyway.

So...I get home, no power. The barn is still flooded so I can't get to the horses. The smoke detectors are all beeping at me since the power is out. I removed all their batteries.
I got to bring in wood while it was raining, that was fun.
I couldn't find my landline phone, so I didn't even have phone access.

It's funny when you don't have power, you forget what you can't use. I was going to clean the floors, but my floor steamer has to be plugged in. I forget that I lose water without power.
I forget and enter rooms and turn on the lights.
I forget I can't throw something in the microwave. Hubs took my satellite radio in the truck, so I didn't have that.
It's awfully quiet here with no power.

So anyway.. the rain is still falling and turning into snow.
I have power. Brock is tied to the deck and the horses braved the water to come out and eat. My floors are clean and I microwaved my dinner.

Life is good :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

it's funny till we are at the mercy of Mother Nature!

sounds like your day was busy!

Marianna said...

I don't lose power too often down here ~ it lasts for maybe an hour when mine goes out. But inevitably, I turn on lights that aren't turning on, try to use appliances that don't work, etc. Glad you're back up & running!

M~

Osbasso said...

I would think that the quiet could have been really relaxing. Introspective and all that stuff.

Redhead Editor said...

Can I tell you how thrilled I am that none of this happened while we were there? I think you're making all this shit up.

Same thing happened to us in July when we were out of power for 4 days. I kept turning lights on to no avail. Can't tell you how many people suggested we turn on fans because we had no a/c. We had no a/c because we had no power so I would tell them that the hamsters just couldn't run that fast to get the fans going. We are spoiled and electrically challenged.

Unknown said...

Nothing like a little power to brighten your day...

Laura said...

We have lost power a total of ONE time since I've lived here. Actually that quiet and stillness sounds like heaven. I could use that for a few hours. Days. Weeks..whatever. :)
~L.

Anonymous said...

Oh the joys of being off grid.

Anonymous said...

You need a generator out there....