Monday, March 5

Small Town Living




So I ventured into town today. Not the big city, but our little town here. I had to stop in at the post office, and then pick up a few things at the general store.
Of course I had a few people teasing me, since I rarely come down there.

They don't have a whole lot, but they have essentials.. you know, beer, soda.. bread.. stuff like that. They also have a feed store where I pick up corn and bird seed. Every now and then I pick up cat food there, but they rarely have big bags, and what they do have is usually expensive. You know, like buying your essentials at a 7-11 or something. (*wow... I haven't seen a 7-11 in years)

So.. I'm chatting with the girl that works there (family-run store) and just told her that I was trying to talk myself out of going into the big city and that's why I was looking for cat food there.
She then told me that weekly they run into the big city for supplies and would be glad to pick up cat food for me. I can just pick it up at the store. They also order Heineken Light and Diet coke in 12 packs just for me.

So of course I took her up on it :)
I wonder if I can just give her my grocery list?

As much as I'm longing to get out some and be in a city again, sometimes small town living has it's benefits.

13 comments:

Moosekahl said...

that's what my hometown was like...flowers were delivered from the "big city" on the mail truck. So were the spring chicks that were later butchered in the fall. Oh yeah, the grocery store lady would bring prescriptions too if need be. Isn't it nice? I miss the kindness of small town more often than not.

Marianna said...

When I was married, I lived in a similar town ~ population 500 & the nearest town (College Station) was 30 minutes away. We would go to the general store with wooden floors, (hardware store & grocery store all in one) to get small items so we wouldn't have to drive in to the big town. It was convenient!

M~

Michael said...

Now you just need to hire some young kid to haul it all out to your place and you'd never have to leave!

I wouldn't mind living in a small town... as long as there was a Frys, and a Mongolian BBQ joint, and a place that carried Mount Gay Rum, and a good Mexican restaurant, and a pizza place that delivered, and a reliable motorcycle shop. Surely a place like that must exist!

chez bez said...

I'm not sure if I'm even using the right word or not, but that just sounds endearing.

You paint a very nice picture of your surroundings.

Heather said...

It would be like having your own personal shopper! :)

Having lived in a big city all my life I can't even imagine living in a small town where there aren't 7-11's!

Unknown said...

lol cool, did you have to pay in advance. This is a small town, but if you want something from the grocery that they don't have they make you pay in advance. UGH lol

Im A Foto Nut said...

My Aunt lives in such a small town that she has a tab at the grocery store!

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

My husband moved here (Osceola County/Kissimmee) back in 1969 (he was 15 at the time) and said that Kissimmee had ONE traffic light. Can you IMAGINE that??? I sure can't (I was a bit too young to remember that at the time...I was only a year old!)

I didn't realize how spoiled I was when it came to conveniences (like 7-11's, etc.) until we went back to The PK's teeny home town in Illinois for a visit. We had to drive miles just to buy a pack of smokes.....and if you wanted to eat at a restaurant, it'd take you 30-45 minutes to get to one.

But honestly, sometimes I think it would be INCREDIBLE to just live miles and miles away from everything...no car noises at night, no sirens to be heard. That would be awesome.

Leesa said...

I love to go into feed stores. I don't live in a little town, but sometimes when I go through them on the way to somewhere else, I will stop in the feed store if I have time. I normally don't have a use for much that they sell, but I love looking around. It is such a wonderful experience.

Nature Girl said...

Cool! I'd love to live in a small town like that!

Stacie

Leesa said...

We don't have a stoplight either.
You can have a tab at the store.
I didn't have to pay in advance for the food, but they do know us so that might be one reason.
I WISH I had a pizza place that delivered!

LarryLilly said...

I have lived in teeny towns, population 1600 (Robinson Illinois), large ones (NYC) and sprawling ones (Dallas). I would prefer at this point of my life a small town, near a small independent lumber mill, hardwoods, not that pine stuff, and have access to DSL. Then i would be set. LOL

Leesa, your world is an idyllic experience to us grubbing out a piece of dirt in a concrete jungle.
I look at your pics and I dream, some day.

Melli said...

It suuuuuure does! You rarely find people THAT friendly and willing to help in the Big City! They ARE there -- but they're just so hidden behind all the pushy insensitive ones that they are harder to find... I'd stay home if I were you! ;)