Wednesday, March 7

Down Home



Just off of the beaten path
A little dot on a state road map
That's where I was born & where I'll die
Things move at a slower pace
Nobody's in a rat race
And these days that's a special way to fly

I've been thinking more on the "small town" feel since I wrote that post. I remember it being quite the change from the DFW area.
I always think of the song "Down Home" by Alabama when I think of this life.
*Down home, where they know you by name and treat you like family.

It's a quiet town. No traffic lights, one stop sign. Everyone waves as you drive by each other, even if you don't know one another.
They all know your car. They all know your business.
*Down home, where a man's good word and a handshake are all you need.

We have a general store, a post office, a laundromat (and showers for those without running water) and a volunteer fire department. I actually know the deputy sheriff, as he has been here more than a few times, but I rarely actually see him drive through town.
*Folks know, if you're fallin on hard times, you can fall back on... those of us raised up, down home.

Some people do have a tab at the grocery store. When I've needed help here while alone, neighbors get together and help.
When my water pump died, neighbors went and filled up barrels of spring water for me and the horses.
The pump guy came out on a holiday to fix it, no pay required immediately.

You don't hear sirens. You don't hear car alarms. You hear the train sometimes, dogs bark, and the occasional gunshot.
There is no fast food. There are no restaurants. No delivery.
No newspaper. No ice cream shop or donuts.
No ones in a hurry. Everyone says hello. Everyone smiles :)

Of course as nice as all of this is, you start to miss some things.
I miss pizza delivery.
I miss coffee shops and donut shops.
It's weird to not have a local paper or the local news.
You can't run down to the store after 8pm when you have a craving.
You can't run to Target because you forgot to get a gift.
You can't stop and get dinner somewhere because you don't feel like cooking.
And.. you can't use your cell phone here.

But.. it's peaceful and it's beautiful.
And I'm know I'm lucky enough to say I get to enjoy it.
And soon, I'll be able to enjoy the best of both worlds.

*When I was a boy I couldn't wait to leave this place
But now I wanna see my children raised...


Down home.

15 comments:

chez bez said...

Some city conveniences can be overrated.

You paint a nice picture.

Osbasso said...

Nicely described. I think there's alot of people who'd like to experience that for awhile. Hey! Maybe a bed & breakfast!

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Actually that sounds wonderful!

And you'll be getting the best of both worlds? Lucky you! :)

Marianna said...

I have that song in my head now... one of my favorite Alabama songs!

M~

LarryLilly said...

Stephen King has taken note of your town. Expect a series of odd occurrences in the next few months. You will see people in a different light after that. Maybe they arent so quiet after all. LOL

Leesa, a beautiful scene, you paint a picture with words as well as you show the little details that make it real.

Nature Girl said...

That's awsome Leesa. I think what I like best about it, is that you know you're lucky to have both and you enjoy it. Truely enjoy it....maybe appreciate is a better word. That makes all the difference.

I wish I didn't hear sirens 24/7
Stacie

Leesa said...

What a wonderful world, Leesa! Thanks for sharing.

Melli said...

Okay... I gotcha. We DO have pizza delivery -- but it only just came this year! Our area started out VERY rural like you are ... but over the past 20 years it has become less so... we still have travel about 40 miles to find a mall -- but we have quite a few more "shopping centers" now. When we first moved here, all we had was an Ames and a Safeway - oh - and the movie theater -- that was IT - for the whooooole county! And only two stop lights. Now we're up to more stop lights than I care to count! But it IS nice to have some restaurants. We still only have ONE movie theater -- and it only has 4 screens. None BIG. LOL! But we're up to 4 grocery stores - 2 Giants / 2 Safeways ... and we have gasoline choices! Yep... we're BIG TIME now!!! Sounds like maybe you DO need a trip to the city!

Unknown said...

Leesa, truly, IMHO, the best bit of prose you have ever written. Truly. And, although I think delivery is awesome...I would trade it for peace and quiet...any day. And besides...you get Schwan (or however you spell it). So, there is some delivery.
♥Pam

Moosekahl said...

My down home...one post office, seven churches (only four of them still have services now), one gas station, state highway 12 runs through the center and counts as a paved street, one school with K-12. My city...four lane street out front, it's an ambulance route, Super Walmart AND Super Target, dinner out almost every night.

I think I want more of a happy medium. The darkness and stillness out on the farm this week has been amazing.

~grey said...

I am amazed and in awe... that such a place exists...
To me, it is something out of a movie...

It is sad that I live in such a place that the corner store (like a 7-11) won't even spot you a dime. No one says hello to anyone else... unless you actually know them.

Thanks for showing me that the world has such places of peace and humanity!

Beautifully written too!

Unknown said...

I think I like your small town better lol

Ms.DaFarm said...

Just wanted to say hello! I'm a long time (last fall maybe?)occasional visitor, but last week I decided to go back to the beginning of your blog and read from the beginning so I know what's going on.
You have such an interesting life! I can't begin to put into words the beauty that surrounds you. Thank you so much for sharing it with the world!
I'm a former farmgirl, and even though here in the Midwest we don't have all the wildlife, your stories really take me back to that peaceful time. Thanks for that, too!

Michael said...

I love that song.
You certainly are blessed.

Take Care
Michael

Shephard said...

How funny... we have barking dogs, trains and an occasional gunshot here too... (kidding!!)

Very nice sentiment.
Sounds like a good spot for a resort spa (kidding!) lol

~S :)