Wednesday, December 6

Identity













I had a dream last night. One I've had before.
I get off work from my waitressing job (I've had many), and come out to find my car was broken into. Everything inside was gone. I had been robbed. For some reason the car is also undriveable. In the dream, i'm always upset.
Last night's was different as there was a guy waiting for me this time. He told me to get in the car. I didn't, of course and turned around to get help. It gets hazy from there and next thing I know I am driving the car with him in it.
It's always interesting to me that we dream of people we've never seen before. I've never seen this guy, that I know of, but I guess I could have passed him on a street one day and my brain just kept his image. Anyway, he's not what I'm writing about.

I looked up the dream, since the last few dream interpretations have been accurate :
To dream that you car has been stolen, indicates that you are being stripped of your identity. This may relate to losing your job, a failed relationship, or some situation which has played a significant role in your identity and who you are as a person.
To dream that you have been robbed, denotes that you are experiencing an identity crisis or you are suffering some sort of loss in your life. Alternatively, you may feel that someone has stolen your success or has taken credit for something you did.

Interesting that both of these have to do with Identity. This is one of the issues I've had here lately. Loss of identity.
I'm not sure I can put this into the right words but I feel I had more of an identity when we lived in Texas. I had a seperate life, I did my own things, I went out with friends, I went shopping. I wore different clothes. I had a job. I had my own routine.

Sometimes here I feel as I'm not that person anymore. Actually I'm not. I'm a different person now. I have failed relationships.I can't run down and meet a friend at Starbucks or Fridays. There's no shopping. I do basically the same thing everyday. I wonder now if I went back, would my friendships be the same?
Don't take me wrong, I do love where I live. I do appreciate what I have. But it's like I'm at a standstill. Who am I here? I'm the Dr's wife up on the hill with all the cats..(I'm kidding) I don't think anyone thinks I'm the crazy cat lady. (shaddap).

Yes, I know, I can change this. Me and only me.
I can get out. A little more difficult considering my location, but I can.

So,that was my dream and I just thought it was interesting that it involved Identity. Something I've been trying to figure out for a while now.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can totally relate. I'm younger though so it's different.

Michael said...

Maybe you should buy a motorcycle... ;-)

Ok, maybe not... but it seems to me (and I could be way off base here) that while you have a fantastic life, you may not feel like you have a real purpose in life. Something to motivate you and challenge you in a positive way. That could mean going back to school, or tackling a different project, something outside the normal routine to shake things up.

Or you could simply be bored... ;-)

Leesa said...

lol..me on a motorcycle..now there's a show.
You're right, Michael. It could be any of those things, including boredom. School would be difficult with the distance I'd have to go, as I have actually looked into that already.
I am definitely looking for something to shake the normal routine ;)

Osbasso said...

Three and a half hours. That's all I'm sayin'...

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the trailers for the movie The Holiday? The main characters switch houses for a while. That would be fun and shake up the rountine a little.

I, too, have felt like I am in a rut and I am getting that feeling of NEED TO CHANGE/NEED TO MOVE. This time I want to go far away and do something different. Unfortunately, budget trumps mission for me.

Hope you find want you need. Sending thoughts of encouragement and strength. :)

Leesa said...

Funny you mention that, Haleigh Anne. I saw the previews and thought the same thing. How cool to trade houses with someone for a couple of weeks :)

I'll figure it out :)

Anonymous said...

you know.... I feel the same way.

Ever since I got married and had kids.... my life has totally changed. I am not the person I use to be. Some days I think I have lost my self.... my 'real' identity... but this is who I am. I live in a huge city and hardly go out or even talk to people (besides the kids and Opie)

Marianna said...

I figured John would say something about the crazy cat lady...

:D

Well, I'll do my best to get Amy up there as soon as possible so you can get out & play more!

:)

You know I've been restless for a couple of years now. The feeling hasn't gone away... I need a change.
M~

Memphis said...

I had wondered how that solitary life would affect you. You came from a happening place, Dallas Texas. And now you live in virtual isolation. My Wife thinks she wants what you've got. She thinks she wants to live in the middle of the country with no one else around but me and our cats. I think she's wrong. I think she wants to live out from the city, but close enough to reach the people there. I try to tell her that, but she doesn't listen. I wish we could meet someday. In fact, we nearly did, in Atlanta.

I hope you're doing OK there. I haven't IMed with you in awhile. I love your photos, but I know there is a lot more to who you are than photos.

Nature Girl said...

You're scarin' me Leesa! I had a VERY similar dream 2 days in a row, and I am dealing with very similar identity issues right now with quitting my job and not flying anymore, kid getting ready to leave the nest and possible upcoming military move, etc...
Hmmmm maybe WE should trade places!
I can't blog about some of my stuff right now because people who know me face to face read my blog...but I totally GET this!
Hugs! I hope you figure it out soon, and when you do, could you tell me how to do it? ;)
Stacie

Shephard said...

The one thing that always comforts my mind... is that I know that there are always answers, solutions, if I just keep my eyes open and listen long enough. I think you'll recognize the answer or at least find an understanding if you keep thinking about it all.
~S