
I don't remember if I blogged about this last time it happened or not. I don't like to blog about things like this because it's sad, and who wants to read sad?
Last year I had a buck show up with a broken leg. I was home alone of course. At first I didn't want to tell the neighbors because I knew they would come over and shoot him.
Of course thinking more on it, I thought it would be worse for him to be taken down by another animal or mountain lion, so I reported it. Of course he wasn't seen again for awhile and we assumed the worst.
About a week later, while hubs was home, the deer showed up and he was shot. I understood why, and it was hunting season so he was tagged and well you know the rest. I still hated it and felt horrible that day.
Well, as you can see in the photo above, this has happened to me again. This buck showed up about 10 days ago with a broken right front leg. Sigh... why me?
I called our neighbor and he said there was nothing we could do, that it's illegal to shoot them. I was a little surprised seeing that it would be humane, at least to me, but I can't do anything about it. I could have called Fish & Game, but since they gather and eat here I could get in trouble.
My hubs was home for about 8 days and this buck did not show up ONCE.
So guess who's here this morning? Yeah.
We all laugh at Leesa's Law, but this is getting ridiculous.
11 comments:
Ok.... now I am sad too. Where is the hubby when you really need him, I ask?
It hard to stop nature. Although it's pretty sad, it's that whole circle of life. If it wasn't all bear hibernation season and everything maybe the bear could have been more humane than letting him suffer with the leg because of Human bureaucracy...
I agree--that's nature and not interferring but it must be hard to ignore. I understand the shooting for humane reasons and I hope if it has to be done someone will use the meat. Good luck.
Yikes Leesa! I'm so sorry. Can he be coaxed into a pen or something to be rehabilitated? I don't know much about broken legs, but I never understood why animals like that are put down over a broken leg, plenty of animals get along just fine having one removed if it can't be fixed....
I'm crossing fingers for you!
Hugs,
Stacie
I'm with Stacie on this one.... can you try to lure it into safety somewhere?
That's so utterly sad. I hope all goes well this year.
M~
I have never fully undertsood nor accepted that whole Circle of Life thing. It's very sad because we hurt for the little guy. Hope it works out without intervention.
Girl, you need the hubby to go out and find that damned tripping hazard that keeps breakin' those poor deers' legs.
ohhhh...I want to fix it. I'm a sucker for injured animals...human or otherwise. It's funny how those 'laws' work...growing up on a farm taught me a lot of strange rules about the humanity of the animal kingdon. Crazy, uh?
I would have imagined that vets were available to do the job of setting the leg right. It can, and should be cured of the ailment.
I think it would be illegal or the hubs to treat this deer.
And even more so for me to take it in and rehabilitate it. I'm not sure if rehab places could take him in or not. I think I'm just going to let nature take it's course.
It's just sad to watch :(
maybe they just trust in you
Post a Comment