Monday, April 10

My Monday


42. I used to have hair down to my waist.
43. It was also curly.
44. I cut it all off once so a cancer patient could make a wig out of it.
45. I didn't let her pay me for it.


Actually those four sentences basically tell the story. I worked in Houston in a restaurant. I had a good friend who I worked with, who's mom had cancer. She always complimented me and told me how beautiful my hair was.
When it came up that she would need a wig, and was looking for a place that made wigs from donated hair, I donated my own.
I had never had short hair, so it was a big change for me. I cut it up to just above my shoulders, so it gave her alot of thick long hair. She was more than appreciative and wanted to pay me for it, but there was no way I was going for that.

I did see her awhile later with it, and it turn out very pretty and real looking.
It was nice :) I felt so good with my decision.

I'd do again if necessary.

This weekend was pretty uneventful. It rained most of it, and we are expecting rain/snow mix all week. The hubs is on his way to Texas tomorrow, his mother has fallen and broken her hip AGAIN. I'm not sure how long he'll be there. He wanted to move her up here, but she refuses to leave Texas.

We had dinner with our friends/neighbors Saturday night, always a nice evening, nice to get out. We had buffalo burgers, which I had never had but very good. I'm slowly easing my way back to eating meat. I still have not touched ribs since that night. Ugh.
They told me that the bear should be showing up anyday. Of course it will be the day hubs is gone, ya'll know how my luck is!! Be looking for pics soon :) I wonder if they'll take my elk spine?? Now there's a picture.....

9 comments:

Marianna said...

Oh gosh, I'm so sorry about your hubby's mom! Is it the same hip? Poor woman!

What you did with your hair was extremely generous... I hope she's recovered from her cancer.

M~

Leesa said...

Sometimes the gifts we make for others benefit us moreso. You seem extremely generous with yourself.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

That was a wonderful thing to do!
(and very brave too...I've never had short hair either!!!)

CheekyMoo said...

That was such a sweet sweet thing to do. Really touching and I'm sure it meant the world to her. I'm sorry about hubby's Mom. I hope she has a speedy recovery. Good luck with the bear. Can't wait to see pics!

Unknown said...

That was a great thing to do Leesa. Guess some people never think of it but you know if I was faced with the situation I would donate hair too.

Haleigh Anne said...

Sorry to hear about your husband's mom. It is scary to be far away when they are ill.

I can't wait for the bear pictures. But, how you step outside knowing that they are out there somewhere...I just don't know how you do it. I told my dad about the bear on your porch and told him that I would have jumped out of my skin had I found a bear on my porch. He said I would have jumped out of my skin if it was a cricket! I am a little jumpy...but, not as bad as my dad claims.

Unknown said...

Oh, that really sucks about your MIL. Make sure she has an inhome eval after she goes home from the rehab. Home care should be set up to eval her for potential hazards etc. Of course, you may have done that already. Let me know if you have any questions. I am sure I can direct you to the right resources.

Bears. Yeah. Pictures, yeah! Wait till I show you what turned up on my husbands coworkers front porch. teehehheee

Shephard said...

Oh, good, more bear pictures!
~S :)

Gary said...

Greetings from Houston. The weather down here is great. It should be starting to get muggy in a few weeks though.