
#9. I have serious social anxiety and usually get sick before big events.
I wonder if this one really even surprises anyone anymore.
I live in the middle of a national forest. I have no neighbors. I rarely answer my phone.
I've had social anxiety for years. It can be pretty bad depending on the situation. Airports, concerts, fairs, places where you are sometimes shoulder to shoulder with people really makes me ill. My heart races and I get extremely hot and sick to my stomach.
It's actually not as bad as it used to be. I've never taken medication for it. If it's an evening event, a couple of beers will usually do the trick and I will calm down.
Sometimes, it doesn't even have to be a crowd, it can be a situation.
I once had to go to a tire place to get a tire for my car. I was terrified. This was years ago, so give me a break, I could do it now :P
BUT, going into this tire place, full of men, and having absolutely no idea what I was doing just terrified me. I'm not sure why now, I can't explain it, but it did. I used to have this "issue" where everyone was looking at me and finding fault. This sounds really odd as I type it, but oh well. I'm really not like that much anymore.
I'm not crazy about the airport, but it's not too bad. Luckily we always fly first class so that is so much easier. I was fine when we went to go see Jerry Seinfeld. I hate being in Walmart, but I'm not sure if that's the crowds, the wierdo's, or just Walmart. Who knows.
I do avoid going anywhere if I don't have to.
Maybe that's just from my past. Moving a million times, always roomates, and working 2-3 jobs at a time, no wonder I want peace and quiet :) Give me bear and mountain lions anytime.
I'm just a big reclusive that's all:) Yep, I'm going with that.
13 comments:
Please tell me this doesn't mean we can't still plan Bloggy Weekend '07. We wouldn't scare you if we descended upon the mountain, would we? (I'll bring drugs!)
I don't like meeting people for the first time in their home. 'Course that ended up being the job that I love...meeting home care patients...but I have a 'role' to play' or a job to perform so it wasn't so bad. I have to really psych myself up for social situations. I hated dealing with automotive repair shops so much, I researched until I found one that rarely needs any maintenance-Toyota. I hated the feeling that they were all lying to me and out to trick me.
Great post Leesa. I'd take lions and tigers and bears..oh my anyday.
Montana is the home to all the great recluses (thinking about the Unabomber...). I think alot of people have the same "problem" to some degree or another.
Yep, I feel the same way when I'm in Wally World. BAH! Those people are just complete idiots in there.
I feel the same way in crowded places ~ airports, busses, concerts, etc. Don't touch me & give me plenty of air space. LOL
M~
Okay. This may get long. I went from your place to PQ's cause I know she blogs early too. I was reading her comments and there is one by 'the other Leesa'. So, I dutifully went to check this one out and I was a bit...uhmm, I dunno. A bit something. What I can say is YOU ROCK. Not because I have some crazy loyalty (which I do) but because I would have been stunned and hurt and probably would've lashed out if someone said those things about me. Joking or not. But you handled that with total aplomb. Calm, cool, graceful and inspiring. You FRICKIN' ROCK!
Okay, I will stop gushing, I don't want you to pass out 'cause all your blood is in your face and not in your braincase. I read all the way to the end of her comments and figured she may have been being 'funny' but it left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't think it's funny to call someone a bitch or beotch or whatever. Just not my cuppa.
Again Leesa, you are MY Hero!
Red---bloggy weekend would still be on! Plus it would be in my surroundings, I can handle that!!
Pam--I took the post as a joke, and I'm fine with it, I did laugh at it. The only thing I will say about it, is some of the commenters weren't very nice, but whatever. Thanks for your nice words :) I played that whole thing off and decided not to say anything about it. She did comment on one of my posts and made it clear that she was joking.
Reading the comments above I can say that I am clueless to all but the fact that I think you ROCK too.
Take Care
Michael
my motherinlaw has the same problem, she hates going to parties and hosting parties, although once its all over she will tell you what a good time she had...she stresses out far too much about things like this...
:0)
Wow Leesa...great post! I could relate in so many ways to this, especially a few years ago in my own life. I too have gotten past much of it, but still sometimes I have problems in certain situations. I want a mountain to myself with with bears and mountain lions...Luuuuccckkkyyyy! ;) Stacie
I wish I didn't have to go back to my office tomorrow, with the funny bomb pranks and everything. Fuck.
Funny we're so much alike this way. My job is hard when I get a new patient. I really have to give myself a pep talk. I hate going places and meeting people sometimes. I've gotten better, but sometimes I feel that old introverted me creeps back up. Where you live is my ideal living space. I envy you!
I hated going to WalMart from the get-go. There's just something not right about the place.
My sister felt the same way about most of the things you mentioned.
For me, I have noticed my crowd-tolerance go way down since moving away from Walt Disney World. I'm just not exposed to it as much.
~S
I'm happy to know another socially anxious person in the blogosphere! I really had no idea, Leesa.
Yesterday at my first group therapy session, I was feeling so uncomfortable and edgy I broke down and cried in front of everyone. Boo-hoo.
Post a Comment