Monday, March 20

Otis


He's sick. Very sick. I knew something was up when he scratched at the door Saturday night, came in and jumped up on the couch with hubs and went to sleep.
This cat never wants inside. He'll come in if it's below freezing or storming.
Otis came with our house. He lived here before us and didn't want to move with is owners. They would come and take him home and he would come right back. So, he's been ours ever since. He lives in a papasan chair on the porch and even has a heated blanket :)

He started sneezing yesterday, so I just knew what was coming. And, of course, hubs is gone.
This morning he is just awful. Upper respiratory infection, fever, not eating or drinking. He slept with me all night which of course is another sign. I didn't even need extra blankets last night, he was a mini-heater!
Unfortunately it's a virus so you just have to let it runs it's course. I am worried though that the rest of the cats will catch this and then it really will be a mess! He's still in bed this morning, so I'm trying to keep all the little busy-bodies away from him.

I did get him to eat a little bit this morning, but no water yet. Ugh. Sick babies :(

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Ohhhhohhh. Crap. I hate that. I really hate that.
Sending good energy, healing energy your way right now. Poor baby.

Marianna said...

Oh girlie, I'm sorry to hear that. Otis is such a cutie... I hope he heals soon.

:(
M~

Redhead Editor said...

You're breaking my heart. It is so cool that Otis knows how to take care of himself. Lots of sleep and lots of TLC. You're a good mom/nurse. We should all be so lucky to be in your care if we ever got sick. Be well, Otis.

Shephard said...

Otis is beautiful. I hope he's feelng better soon. I have experimented with my kitties when they have just regular colds, and they seem to like chicken broth, and it seems to help them. Would be curious to know what your hubby says about that. It could just be a comfort thing too.

I love Otis' face, how cobby and round he is. Would love to see more pix of him. Hope he's up and at 'em again real soon.
~S :)

hemlock said...

Sick kitties are like sick children. Sad sad sad. Our baby has something going on with her eye. Two weeks ago it was her left eye, but it got better. Now the right.

Sheesh.

I keep telling her that if she doesn't want that yucky steroid petroleum jelly in her eye, she had better heal herself!!

Deb @ Sugarfused said...

Poor baby! I hope he improves quickly and starts drinking water today. Give Otis a scratch behind his ears and belly rub for me!

Nature Girl said...

AWWW! Poor Otie...I hope he feels better soon. He looks like such a sweetie. Stacie

Michael said...

Poor baby.

He looks real sick. I hope he gets better soon.

Take Care
Michael

Anonymous said...

What a handsome cat and he looks like he fits right in with the landscape.
Thinking of Otis and a big ol hug.
tc

Leesa said...

Thanks everyone :) I gave him a 1/4 aspirin (plain aspiring, NOT ibuprofen or Tylenol!!), which has brought his fever down a bit. He's still pretty icky though.
Oh and the hubs said chicken broth should be okay, if they are even interesting in eating/drinking.

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I hate it when my animals get sick....it makes me so sad!

Glad his fever is down though...that's a good sign! :)

Anonymous said...

Aww, poor little guy. Glad to hear he's feeling a bit better, though. I have three cats, and they always catch everything one at a time: Rosemary, then The Basil, then Echo the Cat. It's currently The Basil's turn to sneeze all over us.

Unknown said...

poor kitty