Tuesday, May 3

Our Four Legged Friends

I just read about CheekyMoo's puppy. It is so sad.

I lost my cat Dallas in a similar way. She was an outside cat, which normally isn't my choice, but she was one of those cats that raised hell if I made her stay in. She LOVED it here in Montana. I'd had her for almost 10 years, found her in a tree in Michigan. She was an awesome cat, so friendly and loving.
She thrived outside and spent almost every moment out there except if it was freezing or storming. She was also longhaired and skinny. So, sadly I just didn't notice that she was losing weight until she started coming in at night because of the freezing temperatures.
That's when we noticed when she would come sleep in our laps that she was WAY.TOO.SKINNY.
We took her into the local vet (The Hub doesn't have the stuff here to do bloodwork) and they did the works. Couldn't find anything. Which usually leads you to think of cancer.
We brought her home and just made sure was eating. All of a sudden that changed. She didn't want to go outside anymore (BIG CLUE), she wasn't eating much so I started cooking chicken for her (her favorite!). I'm sure you can see where this is going, she stopped all normal activity.

On her last day, she had gone outside in the morning, came in the evening and even ate a small amount of chicken. I thought she was doing better. But then the decline came. She started walking around in circles, so I knew that her glucose must have been low. I tried to give her some corn syrup but it wasn't working. I then had to place her in a large crate because she couldn't walk straight. The Hub wasn't supposed to be home for two days and I knew I couldn't put her through that for that long.
I watched her all night, only sleeping little bits and by morning she had respiratory difficulty and was obviously suffering. I at least knew that she knew that I had been with her all night. I positioned her crate so that she could see me the whole time. Her little foot even curled around my finger when I held it.
I knew after talking to Hub that I was either going to have to drive her into Sandpoint (45 minutes) or put her to sleep myself. I didn't want to put her through the drive because the car stressed her out. I didn't want her last moments to be anymore stressed.
I put her to sleep in the comfort of my lap. It was horrible, but peaceful at the same time. My face was the last one she saw before she died. I really miss her, but I know she's in Kitty Heaven, chasing mice and birds and eating home cooked chicken.

I didn't mean to take away from CheekyMoo or Daisy, but just wanted to share my story on how I understand what it means to say goodbye.

Okay, I think I need a drink now. It's 5:00 somewhere, right?


  • 14 comments:

    Marianna said...

    For the 2nd time today, I have tears streaming down my cheeks. That must've been so incredibly hard to put her to sleep, Leesa. My gosh... I just have no words.

    Hugs to you,
    M~

    Laura said...

    Aw Leesa...poor kitty. Man, that would have taken every ounce of strength for me to put her to sleep. Ugh!
    ~L.

    Nicolette said...

    Leesa-
    I'm so sorry -- that must have been hard.

    I honestly think there are some cat diseases that people have not discovered yet.

    We had a couple times at the shelter where cats just began wasting away for no reason we could figure.

    And I fostered a couple litters of kittens that just refused to thrive.

    I'm definitely on the side of cats being indoor animals but I also know there are some cats who *Are Not Having That!*

    Leesa said...

    Hey Nicolette, yes I would prefer my cats indoors, and NONE of them went outside in the big city, but I have had a couple that just made my life miserable if I made them stay in. (of course, they got the taste of the wild by slipping out the door once or twice).
    I've been lucky that none have been harmed. They are safe from people and cars here, but not the big predators.

    Nicolette said...

    I hope you don't think I was criticizing you for letting her out; I know when a cat's really determined there's not much you can do. There is a percentage of cats that will not be happy inside, and then you have to ask yourself if it's even fair to keep them in.

    I might have already mentioned this somewhere, but one of my cats got cured of her habit of slipping out when she went over the fence and met the shepherd and husky in back of us. Once we pried her out of their tree she was content to stay in the house. She was used to her dogs that just wants to chase her and ever-so-lightly chew on her neck -- these other guys meant business.

    The house we have now has a Florida Room with a huge picture window. After the move, we'll have to rent for a while, bt when we get our new house it will be a pretty big priorty to make sure the cats have a similar set-up. I have pictures somewhere of where someone built an actual enclosed walkway between their house and a tree.

    Leesa said...

    Oh no Nicolette, not at all, I was just explaining for myself, I think.
    Actually we are thinking of adding an addition on to the back of our house that will be screened in from roof to floor that they can go into whenever they want and it will be like being outside. I think they will LOVE this. Of course it has to be safe so no big animal can get to them so we are still working out the details.

    Nicolette said...

    I know you'll post pictures. Maybe I'll steal the floorplan -- the way I stole the blob and the weather pixie. :)

    Bird On A Line said...

    :( Too sad! I pray that never happens to my baby girl - I'd just die!

    Tammy said...

    What a sad sorry. Sorry you had to go through that. That must have been so hard for you and to have you write it down and remember it all over again. HUgs.

    Leesa said...

    It was more emotional than I thought to write about it, but I believe that the best way to heal is to share.

    Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

    That's sad, Leesa...

    That's the only reason I say I never want another pet...because when it's time for them to go, it damn near kills me...I'm a basket case for DAYS afterward.

    *sigh* I ALWAYS end up getting another one though....I love animals and it hurts me more not to give one a chance at a good long life than to give on a terrific long life and then when they're old and gray, go peacefully.

    Does that make sense? Ah, you know what I mean.

    manababies said...

    Oh how sad! And I hopped on over to CheekyMoo's blog and read what happened to Daisy :( *sniffle* I can't imagine ever having to go through that.

    CheekyMoo said...

    The comments everyone left on my blog are helping the kids and I out so much. I really appreciate it. I can't even imagine putting a pet to sleep myself. That must have been so hard to be in that position. I'm sure it was hard to share that. I just wanted to stop by and say thank you so much. The rainbow picture is beautiful.

    Leesa said...

    Stephanie,I think long posts are great! Don't apologize!
    I've chased cats through the house too for episodes like that. I know how scary it can be.
    Thanks for the kind words, it was a difficult time, but with all the pets I have, I know at some point I have to deal with it.
    Thanks also to CheekyMoo, I'm glad your family is doing better!
    I love the rainbows too, it's mesmerizing to just sit and stare at them!
    Stacy, I keep thinking I don't want anymore either, but it doesn't quite work that way. I can't imagine not having animals around me.
    Manababies, thanks. It was rough to read Cheekymoo's story and then write my own! blech...