Remember the painful Hub? Well now I have the painful horse. Accckkkk.
I went out to feed them for lunch today and the horse that he rode on "Blaze" is acting very funny. He's very unstable and shaking. I was worried about Colic at first, which I have never had to deal with, but he isn't showing all of those signs.
I had to call the Hub because ya'll all know that these things ONLY happen to me when he's out of town!!
I got to go into the pen and get this huge monster and lead him out into our yard. Mud covered my shoes. I then had to give him an injection, something I've NEVER done...thank goodness I found a vein right away! I gave two injections for pain. I am a little proud of myself considering I've never dealt with horses, only dogs & cats. I found the vein first thing..I was so impressed! This horse is HUGE! I'm thanking GOD that this is a good gentle horse. I hate when these things happen to me alone!
He's still pretty shaky and I'm keeping an eye on him...I know that I won't sleep now.
I have to give him another injection at midnight. Great, perfect time for those bear to come around.
6 comments:
Oh dear, I wish I could be there to help, but I'm afraid I would be the quivering mass of fear hiding in the house while you injected the horse. Good luck with Blaze. I am so proud of you for being able to take care of your sick horse. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Thanks, Ellen. I wish I had help too! Actually a horse is easy to give an injection too because they don't even act like they feel it. This horse didn't budge when I gave the two injections. I was at least lucky there.
He seems to be doing a little better now but still doesn't want to move. That makes the midnight injection even more difficult. There's no lights where he's standing now. We'll see.
Keep your fingers crossed!
What a gorgeous horse. You have a lot of courage. I'd be scared to do that alone. I think animals can be like children, they're always very sick until you get to the waiting room at the dr's office. Yours decide to get sick when you're home alone.
I hope he's ok Leesa. Keep us posted, and my fingers and toes are all definitely crossed.
He's beautiful! I hope everything works out okay with him. Any other clue as to why he's acting that way?
Well, I couldn't get the meds in last night, it was just too dark. I felt so bad that he had to be in pain during the night, but there is just so much you can do by yourself.
I can only guess that he's in pain from the fall. The Hub could tell me more if he were here!
Oh My Goodness. Good job. I hope he gets better soon. He is a beautiful horse.
Post a Comment