I just finished watching ER. That show always brings back memories and
stresses me out.
I used to work in an Animal ER. I remember the emergencies, owners stress,
technicians stress, doctors stress. Residents & Interns....Oh geez.
Saturday, full moon was the worst.
You never have enough doctors, or technicians. If you have to go to surgery
with one, that leaves everyone else with less help.
People come at you from all directions with questions and concerns.
I know how Carter felt tonight. When the show ended I was actually tense!
I loved that job. I loved helping the animals. Sometimes I miss it, sometimes I
don't. I hated seeing the people who couldn't afford to treat their pet. Then it made
me angry that here's a doctor that can save this "family member", but without
money, there's nothing he/she can do. It's sad.
Veterinary medicine can be very expensive, especially in the area that we worked in
and what the HUB does. He does surgeries and critical care with bills rarely under
$1500.00. We saw a cat once that had a kidney transplant....$20,000.
Some people put more value on their pet than some humans!
There were the good parts. It was great to see a critically ill animal get to go home.
To hear it breathe right again. Or a cat/dog hit by a car, broken pelvis...walk out, wag
it's tail when the owner comes to visit. It was always a challenge to me to treat these
animals, since they can't tell you what hurts. They can't tell you what they ate that
made them sick. They don't know better to not eat something stupid.
Some have no fear. Some are terrified of all these strangers poking and prodding them.
They don't understand that you are trying to help. That was hard too.
I always tried my best to make them comfortable. Talk softly. Soft blankets.
Warm food. Sometimes if I gave them stuffed animals they would curl up
next to them. It's amazing what a little TLC will do.
Anyway..to more cheerful chat. I've really been enjoying reading everyone's
"100" lists. It's funny what you can learn about people, and what you have in
common. I saw a couple today that said they liked their BLT's without the T, or
without the L. I personally take off the L and add the C (cheese). My ringtone
on my phone is the theme from Peanuts. I absolutely LOVE yellow roses.
My first album ever was Shaun Cassidy. Every Halloween I watch the movie
Halloween, and every Christmas I like to watch those Christmas shows where
the characters are made out of wood ( I think), like The Year without a Santa Claus
and Rudolph. Remember those? One good childhood memory of mine.
One of my favorite actors is Kiefer Sutherland. I used to watch 24 religiously, but
have slacked in that area. My favorite candy bar is Butterfinger.
These are just few of the things that I found I have in common with more
than one person. Oh and I really love PB&J sandwiches with very fresh soft bread.
MMMMM.....PB&J.
Okay, well I'm off for now. Big day tomorrow. The Hub comes home and I have to
go to Wally World and clean the house. Yeah for Me. Everyone have a good Friday! TTFN
11 comments:
I love all those old Christmas cartoons and shows too...I watch them EVERY year (it drives The Peanut King nuts!) :)
i have all the "24" series on DVD, I just haven't got the time to catch up with it all...lol - are those some things from my list...i've a new one up today...
:0)
My husband used to work at a small community hospital and since then he refuses to watch ER. Every episode leaves me in tears so I have a hard time watching it too.
I LOVE the 100 lists! I've been wanting to do one myself but my gosh that's a lot of stuff to list! Maybe I'll start it and just keep adding... so be prepared to read mine next fall or so. ;)
Clay, not wood. I think it's Claymation, like Wallace and Grommit, not wood. I think you're thinking of Pinocchio! Funny lady! I love ER. After working on so many medical books, there's a prototype for every specialty. The ER doc is an interesting character. No commitment, no overhead, no office, unflappable. Tense but often carefree.
I watched Alias and 24 all the time in TX, but when we moved I couldn't get them here. I got the right channels a year later, but I was so behind I couldn't catch up. I've considered buying 24 on DVD and catching up. Already bought Alias, haven't watched any yet.
So they were Clay? There faces looked like wood to me. Oh well, I think ya'll all know what I'm talking about. They've been around for ages...they're cute.
I also forgot to add that I ALWAYS watch the Grinch too. Both versions.
Manababies...can't wait for that list...get crackin'!
Never seen 24 and I have not watched ER in at least 4 years. Eeesh..I know!!! Shaun Cassidy..heehee!!! Do you still have that album? I found a record (a 45) in a box the other day and Joe actually asked me what it was!! I just about fell over. And I loooooove butterfingers.
~L.
I WISH I still had that album, what a classic!! There's a lot of things I wish I had kept, Like I used to have all the Charlie's Angels trading cards...who knows what happened to those. And the lunch box!! Probably worth a little money now!!
I used to love watching Emergency Vets, and I used to be able to read sad animal stories--after the time at the shelter I can do neither.
A friend said she saw a sat animal story and would forward it to me--I told her not to, unless she wanted me to inundate her with all the sad things I personally witnessed.
I watch shows like ER, but get frustrated when the doctors do their best, but stil have people blaming them. (It's too close to my shelter experiences.)
On the BLT topic - skip the B and add some C(heese.) I'm not an actual vegetarian, but I haven't had pork or beef in over 4 years. (Well, no beef--and no deliberate pork, but restarants end up screwing up requests for no ham or bacon in salads or omelets. Sometimes I find that out a couple bites in.)
I think those Christmas stories were made by Rankin-Bass. I cry when, in Year With Out a Santa Claus, they sing the song at the table about being too old for Santa Claus. Waaah! I'm glad that they've shown them more in recent years 'cause people used to think I had hallucinated some of them. (And then there is a cold guy and a hot guy and they sing these songs...oh, mother nature is their mom! And Mrs Claus wants them to make it snow in South Town...)
I'm glad you posted about ER. When I was watching it, I had some warm memories of my docs & I sure was missing them a bunch last nite.
Have fun at Wally World & don't get trampled by blue hair.
M~
Yes Nicolette! Remember Jingle & Jangle? Mr Snow Meiser and Heat Meiser? I watch that every year.
And I can also tell many sad animal stories, I've chosed to block out!
Hello Blogger,
After reading your blog "this post", I believe you will find the wages information on my site about Jobs With Best Wages to be very helpful.
To give you an idea of our wide range, some of the recent searches that found our site included ...
Pharmacists Wages
Surgical Technologists Wages
Therapists Wages
Veterinarians Wages
Veterinary Technologists Wages
Veterinary Technicians Wages.
We have hundreds of "must read" articles on wages and careers and many other topics in our Top Career Wages site.
Kind Regards
Emily
Post a Comment