Tuesday, January 2

Visitor

I have a pileated woodpecker hanging out right outside the porch this morning. This has never happened in the 4 years I've been here. He's really loving that suet cake :)

I keep several out, especially this time of year and get several woodpeckers, including Flickers and Downeys. This is the first time a Pileated has been so close :)

I took so many pics in a row, flash and no flash, just hoping to catch him before he saw me and flew away.

Cool :)



16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love woodpeckers (I have heard they have special adaptations from all of that wood pecking; to protect the brain, for instance). Hell, I love all kinds pf 'peckers!

Michael said...

We have one in our wods too. Big birds that can really put holes in the tress.

Nice picture.

Take Care
Michael

Marianna said...

That is so pretty. I don't think I've ever heard or seen one here in Texas.

M~

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! We get one in our yard once in awhile, but never as brightly colored as that one!

Anonymous said...

Leesa,

We get a pretty good number of Pileated woodpeckers in the area I live. Last year I was out in our "yard" (all natural plants, no grass) and I saw three or four Pileateds dancing around the trunk of a tree playing "tag" and singing to each other. It was amazing to watch.

P.

Leesa said...

We get a lot of them around here too.. I love it. Just never this close to the house :)

I also love their call.. so distinct and pretty :)

Anonymous said...

Nice photo. We have a hairy woodpecher hanging around. Love watching him. I should put out suet. I've been waiting the last two mornings trying to catch this eagle. Last evening saw him headed to his perch. He's an elusive one. The hawks are out in full force. Coming quite near the feeders.

Nature Girl said...

Awesome shots Lees...that's too cool!
Stace

Shephard said...

Maybe that means he's found you and will be back. :)
The Brazilian Red-Capped Cardinals in Hawaii actually look very similar.
~S

Wendy said...

Wow! I've seen only ONE for a fleeting second in all my life. It was in a town nearby me. My FIL toldme that when he was young, there were tons of 'em here where I live. But, then the place was logged and most of the old growth trees were taken and the birds went away. Great shot Leesa! Lucky!!

Anonymous said...

I have never seen one of these before... of this kind or any other. I so enjoy all the different birds and animals you photograph.

Rick said...

The wife calls 'em "piliated peckers." Have you ever seen one backing down a tree? They make a sound like a truck backing up! I kid you not!

Leesa said...

I have, Rick!
And they sound wild when they fly... WHOOSH, WHOOSH.

They are so cool :)

bestbuddie said...

Wonder if that is the one that kept trying to peck a hole in our cedar siding his summer...

Redhead Editor said...

Am I the only who giggles when I see the word "pecker"? You know I love redheads.

Tamatha said...

Not so long ago I saw a Downey woodpecker I think it was...he was working very hard to get the bugs in the tree...pieces of wood chips flew off beside him...and I was able to just stand there are stare at him...and as I did I heard the still small voice within me say "This is a picture of perseverance"