Saturday, October 28

Keep Them In


I had forgotten about this ban until reading about it tonight.
Working in an animal ER you see a lot of sad things. Especially during 4th of July and Halloween. I would personally recommend you keep any pet in. Whether they are black or not, dog or cat.
Another thing to keep an eye on, which most pet owners already know, is the candy. Watch the dogs and the bags of candy or the trick-or-treat bowl. A bite size candy bar mostly likely isn't going to hurt anything, considering the amount of actual chocolate and the size of the dog. But, a bag of candy bars can be bad. We once saw a boston terrier one Halloween that had eaten a 3-pound bag of M&M's.
Those were not good results. Some candies too can be choking hazards.

So.. just keep them in, and keep them safe :)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I had Bucky for 19 years. She was a sweetie. She became an indoor cat after becoming a fan belt kitty. I'm sure you know what that means. BTW...she was a black kittie.

Thanks for the timely candy and pet reminder.

♥Pam

Memphis said...

Our Little Girl is solid black. We keep her inside every Halloween. She sits at the front door looking out and then runs to hide each time a kid comes up to ring the bell. But we never let her out on that day.

Unknown said...

Oh we always watch candy around the pets lol and we keep our dogs in anyway. But I hope that those who have outside pets bring em in or keep an eye on em.

Marianna said...

If memory serves me correct, I think they asked us to keep black cats indoors in years past here in my town. I can't remember.

Well, I have no pets now. Sigh.

M~

Anonymous said...

I read that article the other day and was shocked..I had never really thought about it, but I suppose there are people in the world sick enough...

Pisses me off.

~L.

Anonymous said...

When I worked at a small pet store in Illinois we would set out pamphlets about halloween saftey for pets. The owner started doing this after the scads of horror stories he would hear shortly after Halloween. Easter is a fair bit away, but this reminds me that he also stopped sales of rabbits shortly before Easter. The humane society would be filled with bunnies about a month after.

On a different note, our black kitty will be celebrating her 20th Halloween! No trick-or-treating for her!

Malifacent said...

Great warning...mine are in every 7/4 and 10/31 and the weekend surrounding them...just in case. People can be terribly cruel as you've probably seen during your "ER" times...hope people get the message!