
Ok, so sometimes the bear antics are adventurous, sometimes amusing, sometimes annoying. This morning was just not funny.
As you know, the night before last they broke into the cat pen. There's nothing for them to really get into, and they can't enter the house from there. I hope.
As you also know, they attempted a few times to get into the cat door that's attached to the garage. I really have no worries there either since it's such a small hole and would take them forever to actually make a difference. By then I can replace the door.
But, of course, lying in bed last night I had a lot of "what if's" going through my head. The way it is set up now, there is a cat door in the window, nailed into wood, which is nailed into the window frame of a downstairs bedroom. This is how the cats are able to go in and out of the house. Safely.
As I was lying in bed last night though, I kept thinking... What if they got that cat window out? Then basically they could be in the house. Now, the room that this window goes too has a closed door with another cat door in it. So basically that's another door they would have to work through. Worth the effort? Who knows. But my brain would just not let go of the idea of a bear in the house and coming upstairs. ugh.
Anyway.. fast forward to about 6ish this morning. Brock is barking like crazy. Which isn't abnormal for him if the bear are lurking about the front yard, so I ignored him.
Until...
I realized he was downstairs. Why is Brock barking downstairs?? My heart starting racing just a little. I turned on all outside lights to see if I could see anything. Nothing.
I grabbed a flashlight and stepped out onto the back deck to see what I could see, keeping one foot inside the door. BTW it was snowing and I wasn't appropriately dressed. Then I could imagine them finding me, half dressed, flashlight in hand and bunny slippers.
Ok.. I really don't own bunny slippers :P
I try to peek down into the cat pen from upstairs and notice that the fence is once again torn open. I'm carefully trying to see if there's a bear IN the cat pen. Luckily no.
So I decide to trek downstairs. Brock is by my side, Taylor stayed in bed. Slacker.
I decide to let Brock out into the backyard. If anything that will scare a bear off.
But...
I get to the sliding glass door and notice that the gate to the backyard is open. Uh.. yeah.. the bear opened the gate to the fenced-in yard. Hmmm. Now what? My heart was really racing now. Do I let Brock out? Most likely Brock would run after a bear and the bear would take off or go up a tree. But, I have noticed lately that this is a momma and baby hanging out. Momma bears are scary. Would she turn around and kill him?
With all the outdoor lights on I was pretty sure the bear weren't around. So, I let Brock out, he ran around like a fool checking the yard, and then I closed the open gate. Whew.
Wide awake now. A couple of loose cats, but they came back.
I waited for daylight to do anything else.
I now have a fence to repair.
I really need a handyman.
And a stiff drink.
12 comments:
Your mountainwoman skills continue to amaze me!
Ok, you realize you're getting bunny slippers for Christmas, right?
:P
And don't call Taylor a slacker ~ she's a SMART COOKIE! I wouldn't be venturing out of the bed, either!
In all seriousness, I hope everything is ok. That would be scary to me, too.
M~
At least they'd only laugh at your bunny slippers, I own (and wear) a pink bunny suit (pink feetie pajamas) How humiliating would that be? :P
YIKES! I hope you were packin' heat when you went downstairs..maybe you should start keeping it under your pillow...just in case...
Forget bunny slippers. Forget packing heat. Just bring Pam and me back. The bears didn't seem to come around while we were there. We will protect you. And if the bears can open the fence and evenutally get in the house, maybe they can do handyman chores around the house. That would be sooooo cool.
Yikes holy crap. I would need a drink after all that too
What about an electric fence?
Probably not, huh.
Boy... that's a bit scary.
~S
YIKES!!!!!!!!!!!
You have nerves of a super ninja girl...
You know, even though you live WAY out there with nothing but forest around you, there never seems to be a dull moment at your place!!!
YIKES!
WoW!! I would have stayed upstairs... till someone came home. I am such a chicken.
Glad to hear that nothing really was wrong....
Hopefully the bears go to sleep soon....
I had to giggle at the bunny slippers and the fact that Stacie wears feety jammies...
Here in the city we only have to worry about junk mail and raccoons. Although I think I could put up with bears so that I could enjoy the country.
My heart was racing there... must have been the bunny slippers. Be careful
Take care
Michael
Post a Comment