Monday, August 7

Camping, Cold, & Cats















So where to start? It was quite an interesting 5 days. First, the above photo is Missoula lake. The haziness around is from the wildfires in Glacier. This is an awesome lake, I love the blue color :)

The weather was beautiful during the day, but we had freezing temps at night. Not so much fun. I slept in flannel pjs and extra warm socks each night. It was SO hard to get up in the morning. We actually had frost on the windshields!
You had to shower around 4 in the afternoon, because once the sun started setting behind the trees, the temps started dropping quickly. In August, go figure.
















This is another view from the camping area. Again, haziness sure didn't help, but the views were beautiful anyway. I have quite a few pics and will share throughout the week I think, BUT... I had to tell you the most intersting and funny story first. And NONE of you will be surprised.

We're drivin along, Liz and I. The guys were in seperate cars ahead of us. We had 3/4 tank of gas and figured that was enough. The guys told us to stop and top it off. We weren't going to, but decided last minute to go ahead and do it, so we wouldn't have to hear about it later.
Sooo, we're sitting at this Sinclair gas station, she's pumping gas and I'm buying a drink when all of a sudden we hear...

A kitten. A crying, screaming kitten. We both stop to look around and sure enough, in the dumpster is a kitten. A dirty, very young, very hungry kitten. And we're sitting at a very big, very busy gas station on the frontage road of the freeway.
Well, you know me. I couldn't leave it!
I sat on the ground in this gas station and tried to coax this kitten out of the dumpster. It was scared, but it was hungry, so she kept getting closer to see if I had food.
I did wind up catching her, and taking her into the car with me. We both laughed just knowing what the hubs was going to say when he saw this :)
She was so so thin, it was scary. She was also very dehydrated and covered with grease. She did very well on the 2 hours of the drive, and drank alot of water. When we got to the campsite, we fed her what we could from our coolers.

I was pretty impressed with this cat. She's about 8 weeks old maybe. She wasn't scared of much, not even the 5 dogs with us. She stayed in the camp with me the whole time. The boys caught trout for her to eat and she just loved it! It took her awhile to warm up and learn to be a kitten. By the time we left she was running around and actually playing. She's clean now, and looking so much better. At this moment, she is sleeping on the pillow behind my head, and her and Trout have already made friends....

Anyway that was part of my first day.
Everyone meet Sinclair :)






27 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, a beautiful Torti. How sweet. What a great name. :0]
Pam

Nature Girl said...

OMG! You're right though, somehow I'm not suprised! :P What a beautiful kitten, and the name is FAB...I love it. tooo funny. The pictures are awesome. I can't believe it was that cold at night. I've been away from the mountains so long, I forget what it's like...LOL Can't wait to hear/see more. Stacie

Nature Girl said...

Ps...I think you were MEANT to stop for gas! :)

Anonymous said...

Aww the kitten is beautiful. I get so angry when I hear of people just dumping out the babies like that. It is bad enough when an adult cat is abandoned, but at lest most of the time they can forge for themself. The little ones are still to small and need a mama. I am glad she found you to be hers. The camp area you went to looks really pretty. I haven't been up in the mountains in a long time.

Marianna said...

Awwww~ What a sweetheart! I agree with Stacie ~ you were meant to stop.

So how are Trout & Sinclair getting along?

M~

Anonymous said...

the hair stands up on the bakc of my neck when i read about what some people do. pfffft. i'm so glad that you rescued Sinclair. he/she will bond with you and be a kitten, and grow to love you and you will have him/her for many years. sometimes it is just meant to be. what a beautiful kitten ...poet

kathi said...

You are one of my favorite people in the world. If I got my choice to be someone else, it would be you.

She is a beautiful kitten! So, what did hubbie say?

Leesa said...

Wow, I have been so busy lately that I have not been to your blog in a while. I like some of the new effects you have. Wow.

Unknown said...

See... guys are smurt.

Sinclair... hmmmm... I have the sudden urge for a Gin & Tonic...

Laura said...

Awww...what a cutie!!! And I can't believe you had FROST on the windshields! In August! Quite a difference from TX I would imagine...

Welcome back!!
~L.

Lori said...

What a wonderful story.
another life saved and a new member of the family.
It was fate.
He couldn't have found a better home.

~grey said...

aaawwww
Sinclair is so cute... Glad to see trout has a new friend.

Beautiful pictures!

LOL
I know what you mean about it being cold in the morning.... it is here already. No quite frost ... but I am sure that will be soon enough.

Unknown said...

Great pics, I don't think I would like the night time freezing either lol. Awww great of you to rescue that kitty

Osbasso said...

If you heard me whimpering in a dumpster, would you take me home with you??

Does Sinclair have any idea what he/she's in for as far as pictures go??

Cheryl Wray said...

great pics!! the cat is a cutie-pie!

Anonymous said...

Great pics!

Kat said...

What an adorable little kitten! What a wonderful story! :) I'm sure Trout is going to be thrilled to have a new playmate who's as rowdy as he is. :) Can't wait for more pictures!

Those views are beautiful! I'm still trying to absorb the fact that it's so cold there is frost... :)

Shephard said...

OMG! Leesa, she's adorable!! I love her markings. What a sweet story. Yay, Trout has a playmate!
~S

Michael said...

Hah, that *is* funny! Our temperatures weren't as bad as yours but it did get mighty cold at night. The morning routine was stoking up the fire and fixing hot chocolate and we needed it!

The Q said...

What a lucky (and smart) kitten :-)

Haleigh Anne said...

What a sweet baby! And a great name! I can't wait to see more pictures of her and the rest of the family.

Katya Coldheart said...

awww she's adorable, hubby would have had a fit if i'd done that...

are you keeping her..???

Anonymous said...

Rescued kitties are always enternally grateful. I bet she will be attached to your hip for the rest of her life. Congrats on your latest edition.

lexi2003 said...

Gorgeous photos.

And what an incredible story about the kitty! She is precious and so very lucky that the right person was there. :) Am looking forward to future photos as she grows!

Robin Alexa said...

You're the best Leesa.

The best.

Malifacent said...

She's gorgeous! Love the name. Don't blame you one bit and yes, not surprised. I'd have done exactly the same.

Deb @ Sugarfused said...

She's so cute! And so lucky!! She reminds me of the calico cat I had when I was a kid.

Your pictures of those mountains and lake are spectacular!!!!

Glad you had a good time :))