I had more camping photos, but blogger won't let me post.
I had Medicine Monday ready, but it's not cooperating either. Blah.
So, here's a recent addition to Leesa's Law.
Do you remember a while back, I had the chimney swifts in my chimney? I'd look it up for ya, but I'm being lazy right now. Anyway, the story was pretty amusing. I kept hearing the oddest sounds in my fireplace. I even called a neighbor over, worried that it could be some animal stuck in there. It sounded like it was crying, but it would only do it every 5 minutes or so.
Took me a while but I figured it out. I looked it up and sure enough I had chimney swifts. They build nests in there, and then the noise I heard was the babies being fed and sqwaking when momma showed up. Anyway, they all eventually went away. No problems.
Well.....they are back. But this time, they are coming inside the house. One day I had noticed the cats had caught a bird here in the house, and for the life of me could not figure out how a bird that size got in the house. She was fine, I caught her and let her go. Then I started hearing that familiar noise and realized they were back. So, so far since I've been home I've caught three birds that have come inside from the chimney. One baby had fallen into the fireplace. I had wondered if these momma's were trying to come down and get it. I don't know.
Anyway, I got the baby out of the fireplace, it didn't even have it's eyes open. There wasn't anything I could do really, it's not like I could put it back in the nest.
I put it in a birdcage I had outside, but it died overnight :(
I'm pretty sure if I could close the flue, I wouldn't be having this problem. But it's too tight and I can't get it to close. Of course.
Leesa's Law.
6 comments:
You should have my sister living close to you. I've seen her raise birds, squirrels, baby racoons, etc, etc. I've often claimed that she loved animals more than people (and she's never denied it!). Closing the flue would keep them out of the house but not out of the chimney. You need to put some heavy gage wire screen at the top of the chimney to keep out the critters.
By the way, had a squirrel do the same thing with me. When he finally got the flue open (he couldn't climb back out of the chimney) two cats were waiting on him. Found the poor baby in my living room floor the next morning!
Well that adds some excitement to the day being dive bombed by random birds that get in the house. :P Sorry the little one didn't make it. :( I bet Sinclair things she hit the jackpot finding you - live entertainment. :)
Hmmm.....try posting a sign that they are not allowed to do this??
laughs at Seven....
where do you think up these things.
Seems to me a nice, smoky fire might discourage your bird-brained visitors. ;-)
Leesa's Law prevails once again.
Can you get some sort of netting to put at the top of the chimney? (of course, not YOU put it there ~ someone ELSE put it there) You need something to not let the birdies have access to it...
M~
Post a Comment