Sunday, June 15

Picky Eater













Momma raccoon came back last night, but without babies.
I had talked to a neighbor earlier in the day and she told me they used to hand feed the raccoons and babies cornbread. Well you know me, I wanted to try this.

I don't have cornbread and wasn't going to bake just for raccoons. So, I tried regular bread.
She didn't want it.
I tried apples.
Nope.
So, I gave her some dry cat food.
She loved it. She also likes shelled peanuts.

I didn't hand this stuff to her either, I just threw it into the grass. Funny thing though, I was sitting on the porch and had a few cats sitting around me watching. She would not take her eyes off me or the cats, so she would feel on the ground for the food and pick it up and eat it without taking her eyes off us. It was a funny scene.

As usual it was getting dark so not a great photo, and I can't stand the gold eyes, so I tried to fix it. Not the best job, but oh well.

8 comments:

Wendy said...

Looks like she may still be nursing too!

Redhead Editor said...

You??? Baking for raccoons?? You crack me up. Won't see me doing that either. And why does Wendy assume this mamma raccoon is still nursing? Big droopy tits? Well, I got those and didn't nurse my babies! Can't always tell from those signs! Ha!

Have fun capturing nature. You're the best at that!

Marianna said...

Your cats were probably wondering why you were giving away their food!

M~

Anonymous said...

You do know those things can be rabid, right?

Leesa said...

~Wendy..yeah I think she is.
~Red..You know me well.. I don't even bake for me :)
~M.. they are cute :)
~TRO...yes dear.

Moosekahl said...

She really looks like she is posed for a handout :)

Kate said...

OOOOOHH.... I am sooo jealous, I find your blog 'amazing' and I felt that I was right there with you, trying all sorts of grub to tempt her, you are so privileged to see the sights you do! Thanks !

Shephard said...

I kinda like the evenness of color and light in the photo... :)
We have baby possums that visit our yard each night. We tried feeding them grapes. No go.

~S :)