
Well, the nap didn't work out so well. I don't know what it is, but I can't nap. I might doze for a few minutes here and there, but not a full nap. That's so wrong since I really don't have any distractions. I have found out anytime I do try to do a nap, my phone will ring, someone will stop by, OR..a cat will break something. Yeah.
So I went for option B... happy hour :)
So where do I start with my drive? First, if some of you remember, the airport is 2.5 hours away. If you add on bad weather, which I did, you're looking at about a 3.5-4 hour drive, one way. So, the plan was to get up around 5ish. I don't usually fall to sleep until about 2ish. Great plan.
Another problem for me is that I don't keep any clocks in my bedroom, so when I know I HAVE to get up early for something important, my body doesn't sleep well. It keeps waking up 'just in case'. So needless to say, I barely slept.
Our driveway was an ice skating rink as we left, and it started snowing. There's one main road out of our town and you have to cross railroad tracks to get out. So at 6am, there was a train sitting on the tracks. Not MOVING, sitting. Hrmph.
We waited for about 10 minutes and then decided we had to think of something else. We do have a back road into another small town, but the key words are 'back road'.. which in another language means, 'not plowed'. We opted to go that way.
It wasn't horrible but just slow. When you're trying to make a flight, slow is not the first choice. We do make it back to the main highway and begin our journey. Just as we are about into Idaho, the weather really starts. Very heavy snow, white-out conditions, darkness, you name it. I couldn't see the road or tell what lane I was actually in. It wasn't very fun. The only thing that kept me at least ON the road was the rumble strip every time I hit it. Ugh.. bad news.
So.. as I'm going along at about 30mph on a 70mph highway, out of the corner of my eye I see a Moose on the side of the road. Moose was contemplating whether to cross or not. There was NO way I could have hit my breaks. I just prayed that Moose would decide to turn around. He did. Sigh. Can you imagine me hitting a moose? eeks.
It didn't start getting light until I was already almost into Washington, so it was just a long, nerve-wracking, slow drive. I was really worried whether I'd even get them to the airport on time. Luckily, I did. Come to find out, because of the weather, she was delayed an hour so for both her flights.
I turned around to come home, just to basically hit the same weather home, but as I got back into Idaho I wound up behind the snowplow. Pretty cool to follow him in, and we did pass several cars on the side of the road spun out. We saw the same thing on the way in. Just a mess.
As you saw in the previous post, the snowplow pulled over for two cars that had spun off the road. The car on the left had two elderly people stuck in their car sideways. Guess all went well, except I lost my plow leader. Again, the roads were very messy and slow and I just glided home at about 30 mph. Yeah, I took photos, but it's not like I was moving very fast.
Oh and I have to say I'm extremely impressed with my car. I only mildly skidded a few times. The car did great.
Oh and I don't usually vent too often on here.. but here's one.
People who feel they grew up in snow, or THINK they can drive in it, and plow behind people who are careful, or new to it, at 70mph and ride their ass, that's just crap. And I'm using nice words. Three different episodes I had someone, usually in some big truck with a snowplow on it, ride up behind me so fast and just sit there.
Now, I'm no ninny, I was staying with most of the traffic. For someone to do that, to me is so reckless and rude.
Worse is when this idiot decides to pass you, gliding on slush by your side throwing snow up on your car and windshield when you already couldn't see. Ugh.
Yes, butthead was the nicest term I could come up with :)
So, that was my day. I came home. I didn't leave again. I tried to sleep, couldn't, and now I have beer in hand.
10 comments:
Hard to believe that's a state highway! I suppose you don't want to hear that we got our first "dusting" of snow last night!
Even though the concept of not being able to nap escapes me, option B sounds pretty good too.
Yikes Leesa! What a day! You know, I noticed in MI about those rude drivers who *think* they know how to drive in snow breezing past everyone going 60, 70 or more when flow of traffic was 30...it was nuts. And might I add, extremely gratifying to see 3 of them in the ditch 10 minutes later. Why do people have to learn the hard way? idiots!
I saw one such butthead pulled over by the highway patrol on my way home tonight after he went blowing by me like I was standing still :)
Glad the Moose AND you are in one piece. Night, night!
I drove a snow plow for the rural highway department when I was in college home on winter break. When you hit almost anything with that thing, you dont even get a brief shudder. The town had a rule that when a snow emergency was declared, it was illegal to park vehicles on the street. Cause when you are plowing snow, and it drifts up over cars, you think its a pile of snow, so if you hit it, like that TV add for some auto, you can peal the side off and not even feel it. The rule gave the town legal outage for being sued for damages.
But Leesa, down here in Texas, today at 6am as I write this, Monday, January 7, the overnight LOW was 65 degrees. Not even a light jacket today. But I miss the snow, that picture looks like a past dream.
Sounds like moose much smarter than squirrel.
Wow. That's a lot of snow.
~S
Sorry to be so blunt but if I ever slid/spun out, I would pee myself. I know I would. Yikes!
;)
Snow country would be nice to visit for a couple of days or so. But I glad we don't get any.
Glad you made it in one piece
LOL I think I have to agree with Stacy here. I'd be the same way!
M~
I just don't get the bozos who drive like that in bad weather. I used to see it all the time coming across Snoqualmie Pass and there was always one or more who would suffer the consequences and take out a few others as well. Too bad roadside justice is frowned upon!
Glad you made it home safe.
Even here in Tennessee, whenever it snows, the rednecks in 4x4s actually drive faster and more recklessly and of course they ride everyone's ass before passing on the shoulder or in the turning lane. I don't know what it is, but something about extreme weather makes the crazies even crazier.
Post a Comment