Thursday, January 10

A Goodbye

I found This over at Osbasso's place. I'm going to just copy what he wrote (he won't mind :)) and I think you should check it out.

"This is the goodbye of Maj. Andrew Olmsted who was sent to Iraq, and had a friend post it in the event of his death. Which has apparently happened. In doing some quick searching, he was fairly well-known among many bloggers. The outpouring of hundreds upon hundreds of comments on another site that reported it is a testament to the number of readers that knew him.

It's a good read. And bone-chilling. It's not a rant, or political. Just a man's thoughts about his final thoughts. He reflects on his choices, and talks about his strengths and weaknesses. He sort of predicts how he would die. And he talks about his wife. And blogging. And other things."

6 comments:

Keyser Soze said...

Let me be the first to say it's great seeingyou up at Os' place.
I read this soldier's goodbye when it first came out. Quite the thing.
Hope all is well.

Osbasso said...

I don't mind. :-)

lilygc said...

I read it too when it first came out; Paul Rieckhoff posted it on the IAVA blog, which I read daily. It was wonderful, and I loved the guy's dark humor, which only added to the beauty of it.

Speaking of beauty...your photos...oh, man...I could weep they are so gorgeous. I love them, love them, love them. Found your blog originally via Killjoy's, but then lost track of it, and just came back. Happy happy happy that I did -- you're amazing.

lilygc said...

P.S. If you like the Olmsted piece, you might really like this article, in GQ online. I reference it in my blog post, here. Wade through that to get to the real gem, the GQ piece :-)

http://www.healingcombattrauma.com/2008/01/superb-writing.html

Heartland1 said...

That's as sad as it comes.

Marianna said...

Sigh. I am choked up reading it again...

M~