Friday, April 27

The Cow Says....



Lying in the grass. It's very peaceful, have you tried it?
I've done this the last couple of days, just lying there with the camera. Of course I get visited by many cats probably wondering what I'm doing.

From where I lie you can only hear nature. Well, the occasional private plane flies over. Sometimes I can hear a 4wheeler on another road, or a neighbors dog bark. But mainly I hear water and birds, or the wind through the pine trees. It's a cool sound. When I first moved here I kept thinking a big truck was coming down the driveway. But no, it was rustling wind.

I learned a lot of new noises moving here.
Did you know the Stellars can mimic other noises? They're really good at sounding like cats. I swear the first month I lived here I kept thinking there was a cat stuck in a tree somewhere, and I would walk around worried, inspecting all the trees. Heh.. tricksters.

I learned the sound of a baby fawn crying. But.. there's also a bird that can sound the same. I was told that if you hear a fawn crying, it usually means there's an enemy trying to hurt it. So, of course when I hear that noise, I investigate. Only to find I'm chasing a bird. Tricked...again..

Elks bugling is a wild sound.
Coyotes howling is beautiful, but a bit scary.
The bear will do this low huffy type growl if you irritate them. Yes, I have experience in irritating the bear. Mainly because I don't want them looking in the windows. Makes be a bit nervous sometimes.
The deer make this almost blowing-nose type sound when they feel threatened, or when they're warning the other deer.

The pileated woodpecker makes this almost laughing-woman type sound. Another one that surprised me at first.
Oh and then there's the red-winged blackbird. A beautiful sound, especially through your windows first thing in the morning :)

Okay.. I don't know where I was going with this. I really was just going to show you Tweet sitting in the grass.
Instead, you got a lesson in nature sounds :)

Lucky you :)

11 comments:

Osbasso said...

Do you ever go out at night and do the same thing? I would think night sounds would be different. Plus your view of the stars would be fantastic...

Leesa said...

I have actually...but it really depends on the time of year :)
I try to stay on the deck during bear season ;)
The stars here really are amazing but I've never been able to catch them on camera.
I wonder if video would work?

Unknown said...

I lay in the grass alot during the summer to take pics.

Troubador said...

I so envy you.

When I was younger and worked at a camp one of the treats was to be up late and hear the sounds of the forest. Yes Os, the sounds are quite different- somehow more intense.

I miss that terribly

~grey said...

laying in the grass.... don't you wonder about the bugs you are laying on.... Who or what is crawling around under you? I would.... I am so paranoid this way...

Leesa said...

Naww... the bugs aren't going to hurt me. The only thing that bothered me at all was that the grass was a little damp :)

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

I usually sit or lay in the grass every evening with the boys (dogs) and talk to them for a little bit every night. My view is NO WHERE NEAR as lovely as yours...and all I can hear is the wanna-be rock band in the house next door and car horns...but I still like laying in the grass with my boys. :)

Nature Girl said...

I love this post Leesa...I almost felt like I was there. Awsome.
The Red Winged Black Bird is one of my favorite sounds...love them.
Stacie

Marianna said...

Up until the point that I lived here in Texas, I could lie in the grass. In fact, in Italy, we had a picnic in our front yard one year, right under our magnolia tree with our friends. It was so nice. But I can't do that here because of the fire ants. You get bit like crazy! Thanks for sharing a peace of your nature & it's nice to meet Tweet! I don't think I've ever seen him!

:)
M~

Tamatha said...

I absolutely love your descriptions of the different sounds of nature...made me want to go visit at home to hear the frogs some. I am liking your pictures too! Thanks for sharing them.

Laura said...

Aaaah..I love this! I miss this, actually..

Jen and I grew up in the middle of nowhere and we did this frequently.

Living in suburbia kind of kills it.
Bah.