Tuesday, November 25

Don't Trash It

I meant to add to the post below....

My husband and I differ on food/leftovoers. I'm pretty sure it's because we were raised SO differently and had completely different childhoods. He was raised in that "leave-it-to-beaver" style (not kidding) where as I was...well, it wasn't "leave-it-to-beaver" and leave it at that.

I can't throw food away. Yes, I can if it's turned green and fuzzy, but otherwise I just can't. I can handle leftovers being in the fridge for awhile, I guess because sometimes that was a few meals for a few days. No other options. My sis and I know what it's like to have a completely empty fridge, or eat plain noodles or homemade biscuits for dinner. I'm not looking for sympathy points, it's the way it was. But... we appreciated food.

My husband on the other hand, won't leave food in the fridge for more than a day and it's in the trash. He'll scrape his plate into the trash before I can stop him. He'll 'clean' out the fridge everytime he comes home and start trashing stuff before I can stop him.
It seems like the same discussion everytime.. ."that food is still good", "you can use it for or in something". Falling on deaf ears.

I don't blame him, he probably never had leftovers or an empty fridge as a kid. But training him?....yeah, you know that doesn't happen. Even if I make something with it for the animals outside, at least it gets eaten. And no.. I don't feed the bear (shaddap).

I donate to the Montana Food Bank every year, mainly on holidays and this year I didn't get to it in time for Thanksgiving and I feel bad. I read every year how many hungry people are out there, and here I sit with plenty.

I noticed recently on Flickr that a contact of mine has been posting photos of interesting homeless people on the the corners with interesting signs for food. I used to stop many times and buy food for them.
I didn't give out money, but I'd run into the store or even if I couldn't get into a store I'd stop at a fast food place and buy them a meal. Sometimes they have pets with them, and of course (I know you're shocked), I'd buy pet food too.

You don't see that here where I am, I haven't seen a homeless person in years. But it if I did.. I'd give them some food and a coat and blankets if necessary.

Have any of you given to the guy/gal on the corner?

8 comments:

Leesa said...

I normally carry food in my car to give away to homeless people. There are many more homeless in the south, and I think it has more to do with weather than anything else. Sure, homeless people freeze to death in Georgia, too, but the odds are more in their favor.

I carry juice boxes (nothing that would break) and pre-packaged food. Nothing low fat, but stuff that taste good and is relatively good for you. I love fruit and veggies, but I don't know how homeless eat, actually. I figure the 100% fruit juice and something with a bunch of carbs is a good thing. I used to carry beef jerkey as well, but I have not been able to find the individually wrapped stuff lately. And I am compassionate, but throwing a $6 beef jerkey bag is not what I normally can afford.

Osbasso said...

While I didn't grow up in an empty refrigerator household, we certainly didn't toss stuff out! With the possible exception of wilted lettuce. But in our household, I don't think leftovers lasted more than a day, unless it was some sort of experiment that mom tried that was gross and icky (and there was a bit of that...).

As for the homeless, I've got very little experience with them here. The guys sitting for a week on the corner at the post office don't count--they're wearing a better winter coat than me, and have a top of the line backpack. And they have a shelter that they can stay at. Frankly, I don't have the money to help them, and they are much more interested in the money--not food. The truly homeless just aren't found here. I'm sure they exist, but I wouldn't know where to find them...

John said...

Maybe you need to eat more...

M said...

as u know....i am currently unemployed...but the other nite ...as i was getting cash off my unemployment card to pay a bill....i saw a lady with a sign...cant remember what it said..but as i drove past here...so many thoughts went thru my head...from: "hey lady..i figured out how to get unemployment..why cant u?"...to..."oh god..that could be me in a few months if i dont find something.."...& i handed some bills out the window.....u know..who the hell was i to judge...right?...what ever she chooses to do with that cash is her business...if i am to practice the buddhism i believe in?...i needed to just hand it over =) ....of course as i drove awayi started tearing up...not sure if it was because i was ashamed of my first reaction...or because i felt for her ...having to deal with standing there & begging for handouts...any who....
/rant... =)

Moosekahl said...

I have started hosting what I call the "orphan" dinner. I have bought food for the homeless and I have donated time in the past to help at food shelters. When i was in college the "short" holidays like Thanksgiving and Easter never allowed me to go home to my family b/c of the distance (and the cost). Lots of various friends took me in as family and fed me on those occasions. Since grad school I have started returning the act.

I went to grad school even farther from family but was married and had a decent apartment at the time. So I cooked Easter for those who couldn't go home either. I have been doing it ever since for Thanskgiving and Easter. I have 18 coming this Thursday. My house isn't as big as the last one and it will be "cozy" but it will be warm and full of the traditional foods. I can't go home and I don't have a family here. Some of my soldiers are a long way from home too and we'll be a "family" for the day.

And I LOVE leftovers! Turkey soup, turkey sandwiches with sweet potatoes as "butter". All those yummy things.

LarryLilly said...

I spent my first Thanksgiving at college alone, distance, limited time off and cost of travel kept me there and the prospects of not having any food since not even a fast food was open (small town in late 60's) but then I saw a sign up sheet outside my physics profs door for students that wanted a home made meal. The sheet said to meet at the building at 10am, transportation to Doc Andersons would be provided (a sort of kool aid bus he had), I saw a bunch of names, and thought what the heck. It was the best thanksgiving I had to that point. This guy had a big farm out in the boonies (as if the town alone was not in the boonies), There must have been three turkeys, a big ham, all the rest, we ate in a large pole building heated with kerosene heaters. Some were regulars, been doing it for years, others like me first timers.

My wife was a kid that grew up and lived in poverty in logging camps out in Oregon, she was the designated "dumpster diver" when food was scarce, or was the one sent to farm homes to ask for milk and bread for herself, which generally then meant her parents would also be given something. I was like your hubby, we rarely had left overs, but we also had cows tongue at times, so i knew we had tight timkes every so often. But if we dont eat the turkey after two days, its then put into enchiladas the next day and soup the fourth day.

I havent seen cows tongue in ages, I guess its in the hotdogs.

No, in Dallas, I have seen homeless people on the street literally throw food given to them into the gutter. I give to a local food bank, I know that gets to really hungry people.

Nature Girl said...

I remember the night I went to meet John for dinner I was walking in DC with DH on our way to the restraunt when I saw a homeless guy digging through the trash can on the street and pulling out a McDonalds bag and I just began chanting under my breath "please god don't eat that, please dont' eat that don't eat that don't eat that!" but...he ate it. a few bites of a half eaten burger and a couple of bites off the core of an apple that was just laying in the trash not wrapped in anything. I felt sick. Here I am on my way to an expensive dinner at a nice restraunt wearing a nice warm wool coat and here's this guy digging through the trash for apple cores and a bit of bun someone didn't eat. The next trip I made into the city on my own, I packed some pbj sandwiches and handed them out. Though DH doens't like me to do that or give money because sometimes it's scammers with an accomplice around the corner waiting to mug the one that they see has money or whatever..I use my own judgement when I'm a lone. I've bought meals before at McDonalds and stuff when I was in Seattle...but around here a lot of the street people are pretty agressive and I usually keep a distance depending on my situation or where I'm at. I don't open the windows of my car for anyone for any reason ever, but if I know I'm going into the district I'll put some money in my pocket just in case I see someone who needs it.

We do donate to the food banks around here and boy scout food drives etc, but as far as money given on the street corner I rarely do. Once in a great while, but rarely. I'd rather know that the money is going for food and not liquor or drugs. I don't want to support anyone's habit but I do want to feed them and keep them warm.

I did see something recently that really stuck with me. A guy in a wheelchair, no legs, holding a "veteran please help" sign was asking people as they went by if they would buy him a cup of soup, but they had to go in and eat with him. He turned down several people that tried to give him money, he wouldn't take it. He was dirty and he smelled bad, his clothes were filthy, his hair and beard a mess. One lady stopped and tried to give him a $20 and he refused.."I just want a cup of soup adn they won't serve me unless I have someone with me, I don't want your money, I just want you to go in and sit with me and order me a cup of soup" That was all he wanted. I waited to see if she took him in because if she didn't I was going to. She did. I found it disturbing that the restraunt wouldnt serve him the soup. He could have had money for it with all the people who tried to give him some, but the restraunt wouldnt' let him in without someone with him. I'm sure there's more to it than that, but it struck me this guy turning down money when he was obviously in need. He didn't want anything expensive, just a cup of soup and someones time for 20 minutes or so. Made me sad.

On another note, when we decided not to go to NYC for Thanksgiving we decided to find a soup kitchen to work at for the day since all four of us had the day off...couldn't find one! I even called a couple to try to volunteer...no go. They want money or food but don't want our time. Here I am trying to find a way to do somethign good for our community and teach my boys compassion and the people just want me to throw money at the problem. I'm thinking if more people volunteered, and took their kids, more people would become aware and HAVE more compassion rather than walk down the street with a blind eye and pretend they don't see.

Marianna said...

I have definitely donated to people on the corner... it just breaks my heart to see them hungry... unfortunately, I know many are scam artists too, but the ones that hold "I'm a veteran" signs tear me up.

M~