Monday, March 28

Would you like Super Size? And other odd thoughts.........

We watched "Super Size Me" last night. Has anyone seen this?!? It was very interesting!! When I was in the 'big city' I might have had fast food once a week, or maybe a couple of times a week. Now that I'm in Montana, it might be once a month. I still like McDonalds, and will probably still have it now and then, minus Chicken McNuggets. If you see how those are made you would change your mind too.
It was really amazing what 30 days of ONLY McDonalds food did to this guys body. He gained 25 pounds in one month. His cholesterol shot up double. He developed fatty liver disease. Now, I know that most people don't eat McDonalds every day, but it was still something to think about.
***Another thing I thought about today, after Brock got ahold of a bottle of Nyquil, that most people don't know the odd things that can make your pet sick. They don't advertise this on TV.
Did you know that raisins can be toxic? They can cause kidney failure. Chocolate is toxic. Now if Brock, who's 100 pounds, got a snicker bar, he would probably be fine. But, coming from working in emergency animal hospital for 4 years, & my husband is a veterinarian board certified in emergency and critical care, we have seen the worst. We had a boston terrier come in that ate a 3 pound bag of M&Ms, he didn't make it. Baking chocolate is the worst.
Tylenol can kill your pet. One 365mg tablet or capsule and kill your dog, and will definitely kill your cat. If you feel for some reason that your pet needs a pain reliever, stick with Bayer. And of course, call your vet first. Techinicians can help you too in that area.
Those with the weak stomach stop here:
We had a dog come in one night that had his tongue ripped off in a paper shredder. He walked right in the office of his owner and somehow got his tongue stuck in the shredder. He no longer had a tongue when he made it to the hospital. Needless to say, it wasn't pretty.
Antifreeze can kill your pet. Just licking it off the driveway will kill them. You don't see this stuff on the labels, do you??
Socks and Pantyhose are bad things too. We have had to surgically remove pantyhose, socks and knee highs from dogs intestines and stomachs.
Rubberbands with cats are a bad thing. Icicles that you put on your christmas tree. Bottle caps, ribbon, tape from a cassette. We have removed all of these from very sick animals. Oh and dental floss!!! BAD BAD thing for pets to eat. It can get in there intestines and twist everything up.
Easter lilies are toxic to cats. I have personally seen that one.
Onions are toxic to dogs and cats. Minoxidel--a prescription topical hair growth treatment, a couple of drops on your cat can send them into heart failure.
TAMPONS-- we have had to remove those too. Used and unused. I know this isn't pretty conversation, but if you love your pets like I do, you'll take heed!!
Anyway, I don't know how I went from McDonalds to Tampons, but that is what has been on my mind today, and I LOVE to share my thoughts!!
I'll be back later!!

4 comments:

Laura said...

Yikes..I have not even heard of "Supersize Me". Is it a movie?? Did he eat McD's three X a day or just once? Holy cow...that is so not cool. I am not a fast food kind of person either and I find it pretty scary that someone could DOUBLE their cholesterol in one month's time by eating like that.
And our cat ate the netting off of a pork roast once. She crawled into the trash can and ate it, and then she could not get herself out (she was an OBESE cat). She had the emergency surgery to remove it and she recovered. But we got the kind of kitchen trash can that you can close the lid completely.
Why is chocolate toxic to dogs? More questions for you...
Hee hee! Hope you had a great Easter!
~L.

Marianna said...

Laura, it was a movie... I think it's showing on HBO these days, isn't that right, Leesa? And wow... how totally tragic on those sad animal stories. I bet you did see some horrific stuff!

~Marianna

Leesa said...

Hey Marianna, yes it is a movie on Showtime, right now. More of a documentary, but very interesting.
And YES, you see some wild stuff in an animal emergency clinic! You have to have to have a strong stomach and strong heart!! He did eat McD's three times daily and that's all he ate. He had to eat at least everything on the menu once. It started to get kind of gross. McGross!!
I emailed Laura seperately on the Chocolate Toxic issue, but if anyone else is interested I will put it in a post too!

Redhead Editor said...

How 'bout deviled eggs? We had finished making a batch of 24 yesterday and then ran to get dressed for Easter dinner. When I came back into the kitchen, one of the eggs was missing the yellow glop in the middle. The white was still in the egg plate! I asked everyone in the family who sucked the deviled egg mixture out of the egg, but no one fessed up. Then Gracie started looking away and pretending I wasn't talking to HER. I have to give her some credit for being able to get up to the dishwasher and sucking out the contents clean out while not touching the white. We threw the egg white into her bowl, and she never did eat it. Apparently, she doesn't like egg whites. Talented dog!

BTW, "Super Size Me" was up for an Oscar in the documentary category.