Tuesday, March 15

Opposites Attract?

My husband and I started our lives completely opposite. It always makes me laugh to think we wound up where we are today. Both from Texas, oh and we are 15 years apart.
He grew up in your basic "Leave it To Beaver" lifestyle. Two parents. Two brothers. Dad was a firefighter, Mom was stay-at-home. He went to church. He went to college. He's now a veterinarian, specialized in Emergency & Critical Care.
I on the other hand, 1 mom, alcholic--no dad to speak of ( until 35 years later). One sister, different dad--not around either. My mom could never keep a job, so we moved constantly. Usually scary neighborhoods. Changed schools so many times, I couldn't even name them all for you now.
I moved out as soon as I could and went to live with my best friend from elementary school and her family. They were Mormon. My sister came soon later. We were both baptized into the church, even though neither one of us even knew what we were doing. Niether of us go to the church now.
I then moved again, to Salt Lake City with my friend. A missionary friend who finished his mission and returned home to Salt Lake, invited us. I got a job as soon as I could. My friend did not. I really wanted to try to make a stable life for myself. It didn't quite work that way. My friend eventually went back home leaving me there. I gave in soon later and went back to TX also.
We tried again a few months later. She had recently discovered her Dad living in Houston. So off we go. Again, I started working right away, rented an apartment within walking distance of work ( no car) she did not. All she really did with her life was date guys and let them buy her nice things and then leave them. Totally opposite of me. Not long after, she left me again. I decided to make it work and stay in Houston. I did ok for awhile. (This story is way too long isn't it?)
Let's just shorten it and say it didn't work out either. I met so many people I thought I trusted who wound up lying to me, cheating on me, using me. I finally was so disgusted with the human race all-together, I once again wound up back in Dallas with the same friend who kept dumping me. (Glutton for punishment?)
I started working for a restaurant called The Magic Pan, met my (ex) future husband, married and moved to MI. He cheated on me. I tried to survive in MI by myself. I had a car this time at least. I had to work two jobs and give away my pets to survive. It was very heartbreaking. I worked 2-3 jobs for at least 3 years. I worked my ASS off. Oh and the divorce forced me into bankruptcy because I had no idea what my husband did with the money, the bills, the finances. (Take heed young ladies). I lost my car and had to get a piece of crap that kept dying on me and didn't like cold weather.
****This isn't getting any shorter is it?*****
I wound up back in TX again. That's where I finally settled for the time being. I was working for an emergency animal hospital ( Did I mention that was my main job for the last 8 years?). I met my husband here. We worked alot of surgeries together and talked alot. ALOT. I think he was fasinated that I had survived all of this stuff and I was not a drug addict, alcoholic or insane.
We were total opposites. A doctor. Well established. Very smart. Good credit. Family. Children. Divorced.
Me? Where do I start? Two jobs, small apartment, three cats, bankrupt, POS car. And I didn't even go into where my Mom and sister were. My mother was useless all those years and still is. Way too long story to get into with my sister. I'll write about my Dad in another post one day.
Okay Okay I'm winding it up. We are married now, live in the beautiful Montana. We are best friends, roomates, confidants. We can talk for hours. We don't like the same kind of music. We both love good food, but he's the cook. I have way too many animals, but he's o.k. with that, sometimes. Life is great and we are both very happy. Who'da thought? We didn't.

2 comments:

Redhead Editor said...

Wow, Leesa, what a story. Have you ever read The Liar's Club by Mary Karr? It is non-fiction, but reads like fiction, and, man, you could relate. I highly recommend it. You'll love it.

~grey said...

just reading abit about your past.... hope you don't mind!