Saturday, December 1

Goosebumps













The finest qualities of our nature, like the bloom on fruits, can be preserved only by the most delicate handling.
Yet we do not treat ourselves nor one another thus tenderly.

~ Henry David Thoreau


I blogged recently about the loss of a close friend in a car accident. The memorial was yesterday, even though neither of us could attend due to location and scheduling. I did hear it was a packed house, which isn't surprising in the least. He was a great man, a veterinarian also, and a family man.
Since hubs couldn't make the memorial, which has been hard I'm sure, he offered his services to help the hospital that his friend owned. It will take him away most of December and the Christmas holidays, but I know this is how he felt he could contribute.

A little good news did come out of this today though.
When our friend (and I don't want to mention names because of searches, etc) was killed in the accident, he had his two dogs with him. These were his treasures and loved him more than a pet can love a human and vice versa. I don't have the right words here to describe how in an odd kind of way, it almost seemed right that they were together. But...

We found out today that the dogs were not in the car. They were found wandering the neighborhood couple days later. Wow. Can it be explained? I don't know. But, the family has the dogs back and it brings a little happiness into their lives and a little bit of our friend too.

6 comments:

gemmak said...

How very sad that someone so young and gifted should lose his life in that way, but what a comfort that somehow his beloved dogs were spared :o)

Anonymous said...

Such a tragic loss. I think it's wonderful that your hub is helping out and that the dogs were safe. I shudder to think how they must be grieving though. I'm glad they have family.

Nature Girl said...

wow..that does kind of give me goosebumps! I'm glad they will bring the family some measure of comfort.
Stacie

~grey said...

What a wonderful and heart felt gesture from your hubs!

strange how some things happen... glad the dogs will bring some joy and memories to the family.

Marianna said...

Wow... that's in incredible turn of events... I'm so sorry the family (and his friends) have to deal with such a horrible loss at a happy time of the year...

M~

Moosekahl said...

A blessing in disguise. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.