Friday, October 5

No More Ax

I took these photos on my drive home yesterday. I'd say it was about 4pm, and we had fall colors everywhere, but snow on the mountains. I swear I must have seen at least 5 rainbows on my way home. It was a wild drive. But, actually, it was a wild day.
I didn't plan on blogging much about this, but thought I would for one major reason. Paying attention to your body.













A few years ago, hubs and I were eating lunch at a restaurant and he started having pain in his chest. We just assumed it was indigestion. When it started moving into his arm and more pressure, we decided to take him to the hospital. Making a really long story short, it was indigestion and he was out the next day. Although, he was supposed to have stress tests as a follow-up, he didn't. You know what great patients doctors make. He didn't follow-up.
And, has had no problems since.
Well, all of that changed Thursday morning. Around 1am, he started having the same pain. He ignored it. About an hour and a half later, 2:30am-ish, he started feeling the pain in his arm and into his jaw. He finally decided eh-maybe we should go to the hospital.
32 degrees, dark as can be and raining, we drove the hour to the hospital. The whole drive my mind was wrapped around whether he was going to fall over (he was in a lot of pain), having an accident or hitting a deer. It wasn't a fun drive for either one of us.













The usual going's on when you arrive to an ER with chest pain. Got him right in, did all the tests, etc. But didn't like what they saw. Sandpoint has a pretty small hospital so they wanted to send him somewhere else. At about 4am, they careflighted him to another hospital another hour away. I then followed.
I don't need to go through every detail except to say that he did have a 'mild' heart attack and had to have a stint put in. He's still in the hospital today, and even though he felt great this morning and was supposed to go home, they have decided to keep him a little longer.













It sounds like everything will be okay. He doesn't seem to be too stressed about anything except that he will not grow old gracefully. Oh and that he's the worst patient ever.
But.. the doctors did say that it was a good thing he decided to come in when he did and not brush it off as indigestion.
He had been working on the property all day, splitting and hauling wood etc.. and had planned on doing that all day Thursday too. It's frightening now to think if we had been here at home and he had a full blown attack. An hour away from a hospital is not comforting.

It was definitely a long hard day, and I'm impressed I stayed awake with all the driving. But, as I was driving home and seeing the beautiful scenery and all the rainbows, it just makes you stop and think.
Think about what's important and what's not. Pay more attention to your surroundings. I know, it sounds like a hallmark card. I guess you think like that sometimes after a day like yesterday.

So anyway, I think everything will be fine and the DR. will be back at work as soon as he can. I might have to take the ax and chainsaw away from him though.

13 comments:

Osbasso said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! It's got to be times like this when the wilderness thing has got to be scary. Sounds just like what happened to my dad, except his was after a long, hard day of golfing...

Take good care of him!

Anonymous said...

Wow!! You take care of him....

I'm sorry that this happened but you are right. After having 2 strokes, I realized that you need to pay attention to anything and everything when it comes to the signs your body is giving you....

Wendy said...

BIG stuff there. Big stuff. I know 2 people who had close to the same scenario as your Hub and both are doing great ... but they each did cardiac rehab and had to make several lifestyle changes (diet, exercise, etc). It's a lifestyle change he has to commit to. Stress ... he has to learn his limits and have his solutions for de-stressing, etc.

Good luck with all of this. I would NOT like to be so far away from a hospital!!

Phaedrous said...

Whoa, close call. I am glad that it went the direction it did and that you two are still a couple.

You are right when you say that you have to pay attention to the things that are happening right now. Don't put your dreams off too long.

P.

Marianna said...

I'm so glad he was with you & not here in Seattle alone. Not that he would have been alone, but you know what I mean.

After seeing my own cholesterol high, it makes me want to take better care of myself.

M~

Michael said...

Glad it wasn't more serious, though I'm sure it's serious enough for all involved!

John said...

I told you! Only a couple of drops of cyanide. Not the whole bottle.

Nature Girl said...

Holy Crap Leesa! I'm so glad hubs is going to be ok and it wasn't more serious than it was! I'll be thinking of you guys!
Stacie
ps...message recieved!

Jennifer said...

Sorry to hear about the hubs, take care of him and make sure you take care of yourself. Thoughts and prayers go out to you guys . . . .

Redhead Editor said...

I am so sorry and so glad he listened to his body... finally. Glad you were there... to take pictures on the drive home. Did you take pictures IN the hospital? You're cold!

Memphis said...

Wow! That is scary, but I'm glad it is turning out OK and it was caught before too much damage occurred. I recently discovered that my heart doctor was crazy and I obtained a new one. But it still bothers me that this is the second crazy doctor my family doctor has referred me to. Anyway, I hope he recovers completely and quickly.

~grey said...

Wow!!! I am glad it turned out the way it did.

Good message to get across to everyone!

Moosekahl said...

On Wednesday when they called to say the family needed to come for mom I opted to take the state highway route home instead of the interstate. It was only the fall colors, the smell of harvest, and the little towns every 20 or 30 miles that got me back to SD in one piece. I'm not taking any of the wild for granted, it's keeping me sane right now.