Monday, July 7

Details, Details













I guess I didn't give very good details, eh?

So last year we cleared out some property to have more horse pasture. This is just down the driveway from the house. A huge burn pile had been built up to burn.
You might remember the coyote den I posted this winter? Same pile.

So they started burning the pile in late April. It burned for a week or so and then we were hit with all the rain. Days and days of rain put it out, or so we thought. It hadn't burned or smoked in a couple of weeks.

So, as you know now, it had ignited itself Saturday morning. It was a sight for sure. Luckily I have good neighbors and an impressive volunteer fire department. I was really impressed how quickly they got here.
From what they say, tree trunks can hold the heat and fire for months and just spark whenever. So... the forestry department stayed until it was put out, used some kind of foam I guess. They even had heat sensors to measure any heat left.

We then found every hose I owned (five) and hooked them up all the way over to the fire and left a sprinkler on overnight. I turned it off this morning.

It was interesting how everyone showed up and the reactions. Fire sirens in our little town at 5am.. alerts EVERYONE. I'm sure I'm the talk of the town :)
We sat out and watched for several hours, and I even made coffee for the firefighters.

I guess the scariest moment for me was between the time of the call and them showing up. Thankfully it was cool outside and no wind. Ugh.. could have been scary then.

So there ya go, another installment in Leesa's Law.

9 comments:

Osbasso said...

I suspect you've been the talk of the town for quite some time. If nothing else, as the crazy cat lady! ;-)

I notice you didn't break out the Heinie's for them. THAT would have shown true appreciation!

LarryLilly said...

Coffee?

Hot coffee?

for a guy that was wearing a fire suit, fighting a fire.

Sweeeeeeeet

LOL

Leesa said...

Heinie's at 5am?? Nawwwwwwww.

Actually they all wanted coffee... at that time of the morning, none had had their first cup yet :)

Nature Girl said...

I'm just glad it's over...as I'm sure you are. YIKES! no one needs THAT kind of excitement!
Stacie

John said...

Now you know not to throw your "funny" cigarettes out the window.

Shephard said...

That sounds very scary. Glad all is ok. CA gets its share of fires, so it's something we're always alerted to down here.
~S

~grey said...

wow!
I didn't know that a spark could stay lit for so long...
amazing!

Glad it was dealt with quickly!!!

Marianna said...

Wow, the details of it taking so long to re-ignite are just frightful! I can't believe the trunks held the heat in that long, even after all your rain!

M~

Peruby said...

Tree trunks can hold the heat for months? Months? Holy Moly!

That is freaky.

Pictures of the racoons are adorable.