
Recently on Facebook I found a group of people I went to elementary school with. Many photos have been posted and everyone's recalling memories from those days. I remember just about everyone. I remember the names and stories and places.
People bring up streets I used to walk by on my way to school. Businesses we used to hang out at. I remember the Big Boy restaurant and the local swimming pool. I remember specifically that my sis and I practically lived at that pool. So much so that her hair remained green most of the summer. I also lived in a bikini most of the summer... ahhh to have those days back.
I was a quiet one, I would doubt if many of them truly remember me besides being a redhead in the class. Even though, I remember quite a few redheads.
I had a few close friends at that school, two girls in particular, who have been mentioned many times on the site, although neither are on FB or part of the group. I haven't thought of these girls in many years, but at the time they were my closest friends. My BFF's as they would say now.
Of course once you go down that road, you start remembering other people, other schools, other friends. People in your life you were as close as you could be to. And now... Nothing. We moved pretty often and I lost touch with so many. Alot of my friends had moved on, gotten married and started families while I was still a wanderer.
I know this isn't an original thought by any means, but it still surprises me that you can be so close to someone for a long period of time, but when it's over, it's over. You don't think about them, you don't talk or communicate, it's just over.
Of course the relationships that end badly, or maybe you were hurt or abused... those yes, I understand are truly over.
But what about that old boyfriend, or that ex-husband, or that best friend? At one time you loved this person, you were attached at the hip. They know everything about you, you were inseparable. Now.... not so much.
I know we all just change, we move on. Needs change, personalities change, and we don't connect anymore.
I start to think that those relationships were so much easier... the grade school friendships. You have your favorite buddy for lunch, or the field trips. You write colorful notes and pass in class. You buy matching shirts and think it's so cool to wear them to school on the same day. There were still the clicks, the mean kids, and bullies just like now, but all you needed was that one best friend.
Of course as I got older, moved out on my own and moved from city to city or state to state, the BFF is really just a memory.
What really is a BFF these days except a funny commercial or to make fun of Paris and Nicole? I think I'm beyond the BFF.
I really don't know where I'm going with this post, I seem to just be rambling now. I guess going down memory lane these last few days has just brought up some sadness and reminds me what having a best friend was like. I miss it.
Anyways..back to real life.....I have cards to buy, Christmas presents to order, wood to stock, animals to feed and some snow to shovel. WhooHoo!
**I've mentioned BFF like six times in this post. Bring on the searches.
9 comments:
I hear you and have had these thoughts quite a bit myself. I've recently been in touch with an old boyfriend from highschool. We dated 4 years and I probably would have jumped in front of a train for this guy, but now, he's just some guy. It really is crazy that at one time he knew me better than anyone.
Oddly enough, DH and I just reconnected with some kids we went to school with/worked with just before we married and I was thinking this exact same thing the other day...with us, we move so much and each duty station I seem to have a "Bff" while I'm there, then we move, or they move and they seem to be just gone...there's a Christmas card in some cases, maybe an email once a year, other cases, they're just gone..seemingly forever. It's unsettling to me in a lot of ways.
On another note, DH is a huge lover of trash television and recently I've been subjected to Paris' search for a NEW BFF...I was thinking while watching these girls to compete to be her NEW BFF...that not one of these people seem to understand that BFF means NOTHING to her...if she's looking for a NEW one, that means she got rid of the old one...(and yeah, sadly, I know why she did and why she's looking for a new one) but what happened to the F in forever? and really...if you have to hold interviews for friends and have them compete to be your friend, can you ever really truely call the a friend in the truest sense of the word? I find the whole thing sad and repulsive and yet compelling in a human study kind of way. I feel sorry for her.
eh..just some things you made me think of...
Stacie
Holy crap, I hear this exact same thing from my wife at least two to three times a month!
Your post is kind of ironic. Just yesterday I was assessing public defender fees and I came across this application by a guy wth the same name as the guy I had a MAJOR crush on in 7th grade. He was cute and popular and he knew it...he was a major ass in school because he knew he was sooooo good looking. Even though I was so sweet to him, he never even gave me a second look...I was dirt to him.
When I looked up his charge, it was that he got busted for carrying cocaine and DWLS.
I agree with you...grade school was so much easier. No real "clicks"....you just liked someone because you liked them.
Yup ... some people are in our lives for only a bit of time. Some people go another route and we miss them. My BFF (met when we were 9 and we are now 43) moved to AZ when we were in high school. I was devastated. We kept in touch for a few years, and she returned for graduation, etc. But then she went to college and I went to work and well .... we didn't communicate for YEARS. I missed her terribly. So - I picked up the phone. It was SO weird, and I had a pit in my stomach. But, when I heard her voice and said who I was, she was elated to hear from me and that pit went away. That was probably 15 years ago now and we are still BFFs ... and always will be. Also, an old boyfriend, who actually proposed to me when I was 18, looked me up and we've been emailing. Killjoy's comment rang true with me. I would have died for him. But, he joined the service and I met someone else. He has three kids now and is "just some guy" .... who used to know me intimately. Very strange feeling.
I miss my youth. Nice post.
Life was always easier when we were young without the responsabilities of adulthood.
But remembering the past adds life and excitement to ones spririt especially if it involves good times and good friends.
My hair is still green sometimes
LOL @ Amy!
M~
Post a Comment