Tuesday, December 16

Bites














6 below this morning.

Add in some wind, and it pretty much bites. No, seriously.... I have bite wounds.

This happens every year, usually only lasts a few days, but man is it rough to deal with. I woke up this morning to a house of 56 degrees. At 4:30am I decided I should get up and get the fires started. Which of course requires going outside to haul in some wood. It's a little hard on the 'just woken up' system to register such cold temps. My skin hurts.

I hear it's not going to let up anytime soon either.

I attempted to head into the big city yesterday to do some Christmas shopping. Just a few things, little things that would be silly to pay for shipping for.
It was a beautiful day, very blue skies, sun shining, not a cloud in the sky. It was also 4 degrees. It's deceiving really.

I had hoped to just drive carefully and ignore the idiots and get my day over with.
I hit the next small town in Idaho and decided that was far enough. It's not that I slid much, although the roads are all pretty much ice covered. It's not that I was scared either. I just watched the other people driving, usually young people, just acting like these were dry normal roads.
Yeah.. um...no.
All we have are two lane roads here, so you either have to pass or be passed. (yeah, duh.. I know).. but when the roads are icy... that's a scary combo. People who think they know everything, ride you and act like you're ruining their lives by being careful, which in turns makes you pay more attention to them than the road.
Our roads are pretty curvy here, and a lot border creeks and rivers. Just not safe to be acting so stupid. But.. what can ya do? Hope you see them in a ditch a few miles down the road? YES. Of course, it never happens.

I decided a few cheap Christmas presents weren't worth the scary drive, so I got what I needed there in town. Luckily it's where my feed store is, so I stocked up on animal feed, found a tiny grocery store and headed home.

Amazon.com.. here I come.


**Oh and it's 6:23am, I got the house up to 58 so far. heh.

6 comments:

chez bez said...

Glad you're safe. Have a nice day.

Osbasso said...

Glad to see that you're not missing out on the cold like the rest of us here! (though I don't know that I'd enjoy heading out for wood at 4:30 in the morning)

I've driven those roads--you're wise not to have tried to go further!

Elle Dubya said...

took me a few seconds to realize that was ice! hearing these stories makes me sooooo glad i'm a florida gal. current temp: 68 & sunny.

~grey said...

we warmed up to 4 today... and I thought it was balmy and nice. LOL
But when it is 6 below or colder... it's down right nasty. Boy do I know how it hurts the skin....

Hope it warms up a bit for you.

Nature Girl said...

I may or may not live with one of "those" drivers who think they know everything and act like their lives are being ruined when the guy (or gal) in front of them is being careful...as much as he is cussing them out, I am praying they don't let us pass cuz it's my life on the line too. Sigh...I HATE when people drive like that. Why does everyone have to be in such a hurry all the time?

I'm glad you stayed safe and went back home. not worth it to risk your life for a few presents. I hope it warms up soon over there!
Stacie

Marianna said...

I hope your new car is handling the icy roads. I remember you telling me it was supposed to be good for bad weather...

M~