Thursday, February 12

I Fought The Law

So...
a couple of days ago, we jumped into the car to run to a little town store about 10 minutes away. Being that it was a short trip and the weather was kind of crummy and snowy, I only grabbed one camera with one lens. The wide angle.

As we're coming back from the store, we pass an area where there's the river and the train tracks. There were eagles EVERYWHERE. Apparently something had been hit by the train, which I couldn't see, and the birds were all over it. And me?... yeah, wrong lens. I needed the 500mm and I didn't have it. Of course. I always take that lens with me in case I see eagles and this day, nope. I couldn't believe the eagles flying around. I bet there were at least 10.
I tried to capture them with the lens I had, but it wasn't even worth it.

I decided to drive home and get the 500mm and head back. Of course getting back there were no eagles. I went up and down the road for a bit, but nothing. The law.
I was headed back to go home when I did happen to see two. I got a couple of shots off when a train came (I'll post that shot next, it's pretty cool) and scared them away. I waited for a while but then never came back. I was so bummed :(

The next day was very full as we had to head into town for several things. When we got home I decided to grab the bag and ALL of my lenses and head back out to that spot. The first trip though, nothing. I was grumbling under my voice how if figures that when I'm prepared, have the right lenses, have roads I can pull over on AND it wasn't snowing.... no eagles.
I decided to just hang around for awhile going up and down this road. Last time back through, as I was heading home, they arrived.

A few get skittish, especially the bald eagles, so I have to be quick with them. The Goldens and the Juveniles usually think about it for awhile before flying away, so I can usually get a few shots in.
While I was photographing a few by the water, I kept hearing a noise behind me. I'd turn around but couldn't see anything. This went on for about 15 minutes or so. After the eagles had flown away, I was walking back to my car when I heard the noise again. I finally saw him. Third photo down.

He was just watching me. He didn't care I was there, he never moved, I took TONS of photos of him. He was gorgeous. The colors outside and the weather didn't help to see how pretty he really was, but I was excited. Be damned Leesa's Law :)

I'll be going back often :)

**Oh and... click em' to big em'.






7 comments:

Nature Girl said...

Just awsome! Wow DEFINITELY click 'em to big 'em!!!!! Holy cow!

now I got that song in my head..." I fought the law and the law won" LOL...thanks! :P

Osbasso said...

Sounds like you finally BEAT the law! Great shots! If you were REALLY good, though, you would have gone up and gotten pictures of the meal...

Saw the train pic. WAY cool!

~grey said...

Those are absolutely gorgeous!!!

LOVE the one that was watching you.... Glad you were able to get a few shots!

Marianna said...

Wicked cool, Leesa. What amazing birds! Great capture & I can't wait to see the train pic!

M~

Stacy The Peanut Queen said...

Yeah, yeah...eagles, schmeagles.

Where's my close up of Viggo??? ;)

(Just kiddin'!)

Seriously, those are some pretty darn good shots! That is SO cool! My old boss had eagle photos and little eagle mementos all over his office....it was his favorite animal. :)

•♥•m•♥• said...

yeah...i'm with stacy.....
viggo
viggo
viggo...
come on...u have no excuse with a lens like that =)
u could stalk him from quite a distance .....

Moosekahl said...

So amazing! But I would love a picture of Viggo too :)