Tuesday, April 14

It's Almost Here....













I had started a post yesterday on how the Spring melt was finally here. Most of the snow is off the ground (mostly) and I can see little sprouts of green here and there. And then, last night, it snowed. We had a couple new inches this morning.
But..the sun came out some this morning and took care of it, although I wouldn't be surprised if we get more today.

This is the time to prepare the garden some. I have onions sprouting already and the strawberries are appearing. Time to do some raking and cleaning up. Not quite time for tilling as everything is so wet, but soon enough. I'm determined to have a better garden this year. The tomatoes are already started and I plan on adding some more raised beds.

I planted two full beds of poppies last Fall, I really hope these come through. They are in the fenced garden to prevent deer from making them a meal. I have learned that it doesn't always matter if a plant says "deer-proof". It's not a guarantee.

I found a dead deer on the property this morning :(. Looks like he's been dead for quite awhile, maybe even before the snow. He's missing a back leg which makes me think mountain lion. I know mountain lions are here, but it's still creepy to know they're that close. The ravens are all over the place now. I wonder if I'd be lucky enough to have an eagle show up. We'll see :)

The deer are back after a long Winter...it's so cool to see them again. This place just didn't seem right without them. Soon enough we'll see bear and fawns. Hopefully not at the same time.

I wish I had more excitement to blog about.. just not quite yet.

9 comments:

Nature Girl said...

yay for gardening season coming soon! I so envy you...I have no place for a garden here and it's pointless to even plant some flowers with a move so soon. I'm going to live vicariously through yours!

Sad about the dead deer, but cool about the possibility of eagles! A Mt. lion shot would be pretty cool too, but kinda scary! Yikes!
Stacie

Liz said...

Beautiful droplet!

Are you high enough that the deer go lower in the Winter? I'm about 3100 but have them all year - we take turns making trails in the snow for each other :)!

The herd of elk that I see in the Spring has been through once.

Just a few piles of snow from roof and plow but otherwise pretty clear - I SHOULD get out the rake!

Leesa said...

Ann--I think we're at about 3000. And, we usually have deer all year long, but the last two Winters we've had so much snow that they couldn't get here.

I rarely see elk on my property, but I just have to take a quick drive down the road and I can see herds.. love it :)

Stace..I've love to get a mt.lion shot.. maybe one day :)

Anonymous said...

Spring and deer and bears and fawns are excitement enough!!!!!!! ;)

Deanna said...

WE have a mama deer roaming around here with three little ones.. it is quite a beautiful sight.... I always see her when I am cameraless. It it heartwarming to see that she has raised three of them .. all on her own, as she isn't part of a herd or anything. I don't know where the deers go down at Minnekhada... they all but disappear, the only place they have left to go is up, but they should be arriving soon. I haven't seen any bears yet... but I am beginning to cruise my favourite locations. I saw an eagle yesterday flying over the main street of downtown Port Coquitlam.. I think he was just sight seeing. We have the river that runs a little ways a way... it is nice to see more eagles out here.. considering that we have fish waterways everywhere.

It's exciting times for the camera-ee folk....!!

John said...

Ack! I need to get your tiller back to you!.

Chris said...

For you, you say you wish there was more excitment to blog about. Well missy, for this person living in the concrete jungle known as L.A., it's excitment! I live vicariously through your blog. When you post your pics, I can smell the air, feel the breeze on my skin and sometimes, I can even hear the growl of a bear. So trust me when I say it's exciting! I can't wait to see what spring's going to bring you...AND me! Keep it comin' sister!

David said...

Like Chris, I am green with envy every time I read your posts. You describe a world that many of us dream about.
Kudos to you, and no...never boring for us!

david

Marianna said...

Sad about the deer ~ it still scares me that you live so close to mountain lions...

I hope you have a good garden this year ~ it sounds like it will be a good one!

M~