Tuesday, September 29

Falling into Winter



Fall feels as if it's gone right into Winter. The garden is pretty much fried except a few standing tomato plants. The skies are clear and the moon is almost full, and you're almost tempted to start the woodstove. But.. I'll push it as far as I can.
The trees are turning and there's leaves on the ground. You can smell the fireplaces now. Great time of year :)

The momma bear above and her two yearlings have been quite troublesome lately. As some of you might know that live in an area like I do, the momma bear can be quite aggressive. She definitely fills that description and has made it difficult to feed the horses at night and let the dogs out. I need to remember to refill that paintball gun.

We added onto our back deck, which turned out really nice. We've been working on staining it for about a week, hopefully we'll be done with that soon. With a table and chairs and the grill, all sitting next to the hottub, it's a great place to hang out. I really like it.
In about three days I'll be out there with the camera waiting for the moon to rise :)

There have been a lot of changes in our little town, in our home.. ups and downs. It's been an interesting Summer. I think I'm ready for the quietness and slowness of Winter. Different scenes, different photos, different animals. Time to close down the garden, split up the firewood and switch out the clothing.

I wonder if I can talk momma bear in to hibernating early?

3 comments:

Liz said...

I had a momma and twins a couple of weeks ago. Karl, my Karelian Bear Dog was out and "herded" them across the property and on to the state land. So interesting to watch - his natural behavior, not to chase or threaten, but just to keep them moving.

I don't have garden or fruit trees or pond so nothing to entice them to stay anyway.

Hope your momma moves up to sleep soon :)!

Barb said...

Hi Leesa,
Enjoyed this pic. Yes, fall is here in CO, too, but I now have snow on the ground, so winter is breathing down my neck. Glad your deck is finished and you like it. Hope my resident bears are finding a den for hibernation!

~grey said...

Yes... We skipped right past fall and are heading quite quickly into winter. We even had snow this weekend! ICK!

I have to clean out my garden this week too... but the dead body is hampering my progress. LOL

your deck looks gorgeous!