Saturday, November 3

Scream Calmly


















So I was watching Fargo last night. I love this movie and watch it pretty often when nothing else is on TV. I realize it's a black comedy, but it always kills me when the wife is sitting on the couch and sees the bad guy walk up with crowbar in hand and black ski mask and just watches him for a bit. She doesn't get up or run, or grab the phone, she just sits there waiting to see what he'll do next. Of course, when he smashes the door in, she runs. Upstairs, of course.

I started thinking of all the scary movies or dramas I've been watching lately and how the women scream a lot and always run the wrong direction, upstairs, or they seem to always fall down.
I don't think I'd be this way. Now I realize we don't know what we'll do in a time of crisis, but I just can't imagine I'd just lose it. But who knows.

I did have one episode here once where I was pretty sure someone was outside. I could be wrong of course and it's not something I worry about often, but when you live in a house in the middle of the woods, with really no outside lights and a house of windows, every now and then your mind can wander and think of the worst.
My biggest clue was how Brock was behaving.
Brock only growled at people outside. People he didn't know.
He didn't growl at bear. He didn't growl at deer. He growled at people, especially men he didn't know.

So I'm sitting here one night by myself, dark dark night without even really a moon to provide light, and Brock is intently staring outside at something and growling. It did get my heart racing a bit, especially since I couldn't see anything.
I did turn on the lights outside, I did check the house for locked doors and windows, and I did make sure the gun was handy.
But, I do think that even if someone had been out there, I would have handled it pretty calmy. Course, if he bust through the door with a chainsaw that might be another story.

Anyway, just something on my mind this morning.

How would you, or how have you, react in a crisis?

11 comments:

Moosekahl said...

My crisis response has evolved...I still remember running upstairs, with the portable phone, with my little sister when the dryer made a clank and we were home alone. Grandpa came out to the rescue and we were huddled under the comforter.

I don't have a gun but I always check the locks, the windows, and keep a big nasty flashlight next to the bed. And the pets help too, feel protected with animals.

chez bez said...

I'm a wuss about little worries, but I've always reacted bravely under extreme duress. Grace under pressure, I've been told.

But that's no guarantee for future responses. One can only hope.

Osbasso said...

I'll remember to not bring the chainsaw...

Heartland1 said...

like any Montanan, I've got half a dozen guns in the house, but they're all secure--inaccessible without a head start. I do have pepper spray--the grizzly bear variety handy in the closet, next to a baseball bat. I know for a fact that pepper works quite well on humans...

•♥•m•♥• said...

COUPLE MO'S AGO....
I calmly walked to the back door...announced to the person in my backyard...." I need you to listen carefully"....& cocked my 9mm.

they left...

LOL

Amy said...

Shit I would run so fast...

~grey said...

I actually think about this quite a bit... How I would react in times of trouble. When ever I am driving a car... I always replay scenerios in my head. What would i do. How should I react.
Ever since my childhood... I fear people being outside the house. That you don't know. Sometimes even ones that we do know. But I have had lots of practice in knowing what to do. unfortunately.

I like what DrM2B did...

Marianna said...

LOL ~ I'm like Amy.

Actually, when I lived in the previous house in Killeen, I would often think "what if" after my break-in. It would cause me to go into a panic, honestly, just thinking about it.

M~

Nature Girl said...

I've always been very very good in a crisis. I had an "intruder" in the back yard one night...I heard the noises and paid attention to the way my cat was behaving. I called the cops. They never found the guy but they did find footprints under my windows. That night my DH had been out with a "friend" shooting pool. The guy left early...the next morning he was arrested for breaking in and raping his girlfriend at knifepoint after tying her up. He has been in prison for 18 years and is not eligible for parole for 6 more years due to the brutality of the crime. To this day I am convinced he was the guy sneaking around outside my windows because he KNEW I was home alone. Because I called the cops, he went somewhere else.
Freaky!

I've always been very calm, cool and collected in life threatening situations, it's after its all over that the shock sets in and I shake for hours afterward...

Redhead Editor said...

At my age, I would probably wet my pants. Wouldn't take much to make that happen. Perhaps a bear sighting!

Anonymous said...

I believe in a crises situation you should shoot first and ask questions later...