Sunday, July 26

What to Say...What to Say....













It's been really hot these last couple of weeks. Anywhere from 85 and up and it's just yuck. I swear we have the hottest sun in Montana. You'd think coming from Texas I'd know what hot is, but this dry dry heat is just hot.
It's been pretty smoky the last couple of days from fires in MT. We now have three active fires, but none right in our vicinity. I always hate fire season...too scary.

The family is moving up from Texas in about a week. All new adventures for everyone I think. I'll have a houseful for awhile, not sure how I will adjust to that yet, but it will be nice to have humans around again... someone that actually talks back and answers :)

The veggie garden is doing awesome, I'm so excited about that. This is my first really successful garden, and hopefully I'll just get better from here. I have green beans and peas so far coming up. Obviously the berries are all blooming. Tomatoes are coming along and the jalapeno plants look great too. The other veggies are slow growing but coming along. We still have a bit for those to come up.
The raspberries are just out of control.. I think I picked over a thousand yesterday. We made 27 jars of jam last week and I have SO much more coming out of the garden. I might need another freezer :)

I wish I could say the same for the flower gardens. Between the cats and the deer, they're all working against me. If the deer don't eat it, the cats lay on it or dig it up. I've decided that if you want to grow anything that you truly like and want to keep, it's all got to go behind fencing. Maybe next year.

No bear for the last month and probably not for another month. I've been trying to capture ( photography-wise) a group of fox kits, but I just haven't been lucky enough to spot them yet. All the little baby birds have flown away, and the fawns some days are just too quick.

We're adding onto our deck, something we've wanted to do for awhile. Finally the back of the house, which looks onto the creek and the mountains, will have a covered deck for tables and chairs. I'm SO looking forward to it. There are even plugs for the laptop and grill.
Oh annnnd... the covered deck means not much snow shoveling anymore. But, my sister's moving here, so she's the new designated shoveler :)

I think that's it. Did I forget anything? Anything you wanna know?

11 comments:

Nature Girl said...

yes...I want to know what my designated job will be when I move in with you? :P

My mouth was watering at your garden..I'm so envious! Raspberries! YUM! You need a dehydrator! (though they're not all that great for raspberries LOL) Raspberry pie, raspberry muffins, raspberry vinegarette, raspberry mojito's....

LOVE that photo...gorgeous! The deck sounds awsome too..cant' wati to see photos!

Liz said...

The heat - I think it is all relative :)! When I returned to MT 3 years ago from spending most of the summer in the Midwest, 90 in MT felt great!

I start whining when it hits 75 and last couple days we have even had humidity - I'm sure someone from TX or the southeast or midwest would not call it humidity, but I drained water out of my A/C which I usually only have to do at the end of the summer.

Hope you get some rain. Hope we do as it is currently thundering and I've seen cloud to ground lightning in the mountains.

The fawns, hummingbird, etc. in the prior posts are beautiful as well as this moonset!

Anonymous said...

Seems the weather all over has sucked in some way this year! I'm really looking forward to some kind of break in this cycle of heat.

The covered deck sounds wonderful! Guess it'll keep the rain off the raccoons and the bears! LOL!

We were so excited to see one of the fox families bring the kits up - 3 of them and they played in the back just like pups should - too fast for any decent shots though. We've seen them in the understory waiting on mama, but this was an awesome view of them at play. Perhaps yours will venture forth soon.

BTW, do you have your feeds turned off? Bloglines showed no new post!

Leesa said...

Seamus... My blog says they're on. I still haven't seen the kits.. hopefully soon :)

Ann...I don't like it much over 80 either. I've weakened! :)

Stace.. I can't wait for the deck either. Oh and I've decided to make raspberry cheesecake to use of some of the raspberries :)

Anonymous said...

Today some of the older posts (June) showed up on the feed reader :) Weirdness!

~grey said...

I am hating the smoke around here too... our smoke is from a bad fire in BC (Kelowna). One day it is super hot... and then today it is sooo chilly. weird!

my veggies are doing good too. All I have to worry about is the triplets next door throwing their ball over the fence and squishing everything. LOL

Awesome photos

Nature Girl said...

oooooh Raspberry Cheesecake! YUM!!

MAYBELLINE said...

Your photos are lovely. I would enjoy seeing and learning about your home improvements.

Thanks for sharing.

Redhead Editor said...

The WHOLE fam damily Oh dear. Do you have enough Heineken? Not that you're sharing.

Neil said...

Looking forward to your tales of adventures with new family members at your side.

Barb said...

Just getting around to visiting - wanted to tell you how much I enjoy this photo. Hope it's cooling down there.